Error Message When Trying to Save a Storyline 360 File with an MP4 in it.

May 14, 2018

Hi all, 

I am building a training module that includes video that was built in Camtasia 9 and produced as an MP4 file. I am able to save all changes and progress to the Storyline file if the videos are not in it, however as soon as I put the videos in and try to save, I get the error message pictured below. 

I've already checked to make sure that another instance of Storyline wasn't open as well as make sure that the video files were not open any where else. I've been working with IT for two days now to try to figure it out but we are all stumped. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to solve this?

11 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Aysegul and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty saving your project. 

Curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

If it's happening in any/all files, you should certainly conduct a repair of your software.

Claratel Beharioral Health Staff Development

Leslie, the problem seems to be happening at random. I opened a new project and inserted all the videos in without issue and saved the file. However, if I try to add any other content, I get the same error message. 

In some instances too I've been able to insert and save on or two videos into my project without issue but then when I insert the rest and try to save, it doesn't work. 

Hi Ashley, 

I just did the Storyline repair and am using the latest update of Storyline 360. After conducting the repair, I was able to successfully save the first video I inserted into the file, however I received the error message after trying to save progress after inserting the second video. 

I've tried rebuilding the training twice now in case it was that particular storyline file that was corrupt, however I get the same message with all the other files. 

As for the project guidelines, I have followed all of those and am still experiencing the issue. IT and I are literally at a loss as to why this is happening. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Aysegul,

Thanks for testing those steps and keeping me posted. 

To confirm, is it only the second video file that causes this issue when you import it into any Storyline project, or you're seeing this randomly with all your Storyline files when importing in more than one video? 

I'd love to have you share a copy of one of these projects and the video file separately with our Support team so that we can take a look at what's happening. You can upload it to them here. 

Ashley, 

I have 6 MP4 video files in total. I've experienced the error message with all the videos. This is the only project so far that I have had to use video in, but when I test the videos in other files I still get the same error. I will upload the project file and the videos for the Support Team to test as well. 

Hi Ashley, I'm sorry I somehow missed that last message you sent, but I sent my files to the support engineers on May 21, and I believe Renson Gilo is working on it. 

While I'm here I do have another question. I built a training that branches into two scenarios. Learners only have to progress through one of the two in order to complete the course. I've uploaded to my LMS but the course is not being marked complete when learners finish because it appears that there are slides that still haven't been viewed (the slides that are in the other scenario). I do have a course completion trigger at the end of both scenarios, but like I said, the course isn't being viewed as complete in the LMS. Do you have any advice or solutions for this? I've already contacted the LMS support and they are just telling me that it's not being marked as complete because of the unviewed slides. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

No apologies necessary, and I'm sure you're in great hands with Renson! I'll take a look at your case too, just to stay up to date! 

I haven't tested out a set up with two course completion triggers - did you already look at testing it in SCORM Cloud? I'd be interested to see how they handle it. What about branching both scenarios back to one final slide that has the course complete trigger on it? It's similar to this method (which would also work in Storyline 360). 

Hi Ashley, I figured it out. I was using my exit course button as a duplicate trigger for course completion, however it seems that doesn't register the course completion prior to exiting the course. I simply had to trigger the course completion earlier in the timeline of the course complete slide. 

Thanks for your support!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.