Extend Storyline 360 With External API

Jun 15, 2021

Is there a way to extend Storyline by pulling in information from an external API? We're currently working on adding key term functionality to our LMS where we integrate Storyline 360. My coworker mentioned that Storyline had a Glossary (https://community.articulate.com/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-add-a-glossary) already built in, however, what we're planning on doing is more than what Storyline currently offers. We'd like to pull in content from an external key term API and use it in Storyline 360. Is there developer documentation on how to do that from Storyline side? Is this a widget or something else?

1 Reply
Brian Dennis

You'll probably need to leverage Javascript, variables and custom written code like I write for instructional designers to do intermediate or advanced functionality inside SL. First half of the task is getting the external data into SL via Ajax using triggers early in the project. Second half of the task is getting the loaded data into the SL world. Welcome to PM me. The javascript isn't super easy, so best if you have a JSer with advanced knowledge working with external APIs