file corrupted?

Mar 30, 2020

The last time I worked on my file, I did have trouble saving it. However, was able to save it and opened it afterward to make sure. I am now coming back to the file a couple weeks later, and it says it is corrupt. I tried to update my storyline, but that has not helped. Any suggestions to retrieve the file? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

On related topic, this seems to happen a lot to me - any idea why? 

4 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there, Francis. So sorry you ran into this!

The source of corruption can be tricky to identify, but we have these best practices to help mitigate the risk. Also, repairing Storyline is a good place to start.

From there, let's check your temp folder to see if there's an earlier version of the file. Here's how:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you see more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.
Francis Duncan

The suggestion did not work. So I rebuilt it again. And again, it is corrupt. Again. I am pulling in the information from a PPT and it is 60+ slides, and trying to make it slightly more interactive - but it seems that just posting the PPT is the safest way - please tell me this is not right.

Is there anything else I can try?

Lauren Connelly

Hi Francis!

I'm happy to investigate!

First, how are you saving the PowerPoint prior to importing it into Storyline?

We recommend saving the project to a local drive such as your C: Drive to avoid file corruption issues. Can you try saving the file as a different name to your C: Drive, and then import it into Storyline?

Next, which version of PowerPoint are you using?

We currently support Microsoft PowerPoint 2010-2019 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Microsoft Office 365 (desktop apps only) If you're a Mac users then Office apps must be installed in your Windows environment.

Lastly, are you able to share the file with us? It would be helpful to test the file on our end so we can better understand why this file has corruption issues. Please use this private upload link to share your file with us.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.