File size in Storyline 360 is very large

Mar 12, 2018

I have a story that has 2 scenes in it.  One scene is basically a pretest and the next scene is the course itself which contains many video files.  I want to make a separate post test.  So I opened my story, deleted the scene that contains all the video files and did a "save as" to keep just the pre-test which I am now going to use as a post-test.  However the file size for the now post-test is just about the same size as the original lesson (225,473Kb vs. 224,397Kb) even though most of the lesson has been deleted. If I create a new lesson and import the question bank to make the post-test, the file size is much smaller and the size I would expect it to be (7000 Kb).  The reason I am not using this method (because it is the easier method I think) is because I have found when I import a question bank into a story, the formatting of the questions is all messed up.  Multiple choice questions do not have the A, B, C, D choices in order, true/False questions get out of order, the question itself runs off the screen.

It seems as though the scene I delete only gets "hidden" and not really deleted.  Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

8 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Karen,

Sorry that you've run into an issue with this, but great explanation and I think I can help you out :)

A project file might not immediately shrink in size when you delete items. Storyline keeps deleted assets temporarily after you delete them in case you need to click Undo to restore them. The good news is your project file will eventually shrink, usually after saving it a couple times. But you can also get it to shrink right away by saving and closing the project file, then re-opening it and saving it again.

I hope that helps :)

Kita White

Found this tread after experiencing this issue.

I don't find this is advice true, Lesley. I have many versions (save as new) of the same build going back a couple of months. Saving and closing a few times does not seem to impact the file size at all. The only thing that seemed to make a difference is when I imported the whole course into a new file - that dropped the size dramatically (down to a 1/3).

But this isn't a sustainable solution going forward. There needs to be some kind of "delete unused objects" command.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Kita.  It sounds like you're deleting objects from your files, but your file size is never decreasing.  I don't want you to feel like your .story files are chewing up your hard drive.  Would you be willing to work more closely with our support team to find out what's happening?  I'm hopeful we can help make your process more efficient!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.