Flash files do not download with Google Chrome 54.0.2840.59m

Oct 21, 2016

Hi There,

Has anyone had problems with Flash files failing to download, either from a local drive, or from an LMS? This only occurs with Google Chrome 54.0.2840.59m. 

Is there a fix for this, or is this is a part of Google's strategy of ditching the use of Flash files in favor of HTML5 ?

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Eugene,

Are you trying to view some of the published output from your local drive? If so, you may want to review the information here in terms of the Flash behavior with local playback. 

If you're viewing it from your LMS, it should work - but did you confirm if Flash was disabled in your Chrome browser or if you're seeing the HTML5 output? You may want to take a look at the content in another LMS by testing it in a site such as SCORM Cloud which is an industry standard for LMS. You did post this in the Articulate Online section of the forums, but I'm not sure if thats because you're hosting the content in Articulate Online or not? If so, and you're running into issues with the content there in Chrome we'd want to take a look at it and I'd advise connecting with our Support Engineers here as they'll be able to get information with you in terms of finding out your URL and such. 

Eugene Lobo

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your response. First of all, apologies for posting this in the Articulate Online section. We use a French LMS to host our content (TotemLMS) and prior to my initial post I did checked with SCORM Cloud with exactly the same result as TotemLMS - a "Download fail" error.

It looks like Chrome 54 will not run swf files directly or from any website, even with the Flash Player plugin enabled.

The Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager will not load with Chrome 54, and has the same 'Download fail' error. This worked with Chrome 53.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.