Fonts in 360

Jun 17, 2019

Does storyline embed fonts? so I could use any kind of font and user's would see it correctly.

risto

10 Replies
Alex Arathoon

Hi all, I was also unsure if Storyline 360 embeds fonts on the PC used to build a module. We are using Segoe. I just exported a module and ran a search for WOFF files and all I see are open-sans fonts (bold, light, regular)

The folder location is:
 Storyline output\html5\lib\stylesheets\mobile-fonts

Can an Articulate rep. please confirm this?

This article suggests font are embedded.
https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Modern-Text-Rendering

If fonts are embedded then they shouldn't be substituted even on devices without the font. This info. isn't clear to me.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alex,

We do use web fonts (WOFF files) embedded in published courses, so that way your text will look the same as you designed it on any device. An exception to that is the Flash output for variable references or data-entry fields. 

Are you seeing issues with the fonts while authoring or once you've published a course and shared it with learners? 

Alex Arathoon

Hi Ashley, thanks for responding.

Our team is in the design phase right now and building new courses. As Storyline has changed a bit over time we're wondering how fonts are currently addressed. We will be publishing to HTML5 only.

I'd like clarity over the situation:

If we select any font installed on my PC a web font (WOFF) version will be used?

Do all fonts have WOFF versions?

When I select a font I see many have TT next to them e.g. Arial to designate True Type.

We want to use Segoe and if the learner doesn't have this installed on their PC/MAC/Tablet a Web font version will be used?

Does the web font get pulled down from the web or packaged up as I found in this location?

Storyline output\html5\lib\stylesheets\mobile-fonts

If all selected web font versions are stored, I'm unsure why Segoe wasn't stored, yet open-sans fonts was stored.

It appears Segoe does have a WOFF version so I take it I don't have to concern myself. Although I'd still like to know which fonts have WOFF versions.

https://gist.github.com/AndrewCraswell/106143d1bb5d4162689b9e1d89a2d0fb

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your patience. We reply to older discussions first, so multiple replies resulted in being pushed further down our worklist. Sorry that we missed you.

Be sure that the font you want to use in your course is installed on your computer and this will include it in your Storyline dropdown.

My understanding is that WOFF is a wrapper format for TrueType and OpenType fonts. It compresses the files and is supported by all modern browsers.

Please feel free to create a sample course, publish, and test as needed. Let us know if you run into an issue and we'd be happy to help you out.

Alex Arathoon

Thanks for coming back Leslie and clarifying how supporting is provided.

I'll get my colleague who uses a MAC (without Segoe) to test. Can also test with my Samsung Android tablet and mobile as I guess they don't have native fonts installed.

I don't think it'll be a huge issues as I reckon 99% of new inductees will use Windows machines. It'll be the 1%. If Segoe is substituted then the change should be insignificant.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.