FYI - Storyline 360 Issue with Lightbox Closing

Nov 29, 2017

The most recent update seems to have broken the close lightbox button when you:

- use multiple slides in the lightbox

- navigate off the first slide within the lightbox

Using a custom button to close the lightbox doesn't work either. You need to reload the page to get it working again. I only publish in HTML5, so I can't comment as to whether the bug is in the Flash version. 

I can't attach my story file here (the support team has it), but I wanted to bring it to the community's attention in case anyone was using the lightbox for more than one slide! 

Support doesn't know of any workarounds, but if anyone here does, it'd be much appreciated! I use the lightbox for a custom glossary, and I can't launch the e-learning training if it's broken.

13 Replies
Nicolas Bennett

Hi there,

Just wondering whether this bug has been resolved yet? I have recently been updating a suite of modules for a very important project that is time sensitive. The "close lightbox" command is an important function in the way I have structured the navigation. The first iteration of modules (built in 2016 - early 2017) worked fine, but in this second set, the bug keeps breaking the modules. It is extremely frustrating. I am working on a tight deadline, and need to have these modules ready ASAP.

Regards,

Renee

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Renee,

Thanks for checking in on this, and I'm sorry it's still causing you such a headache. The issue was introduced in an update which would explain the difference between iterations of your modules It's also specific to having 3 or more nested lightboxes. 

We'll let you know here as soon as we have an update from the team, but in the meantime the workaround is to use less than 3 nested lightboxes or look at directing users to the Flash output, as this bug only exists in HTML5. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey folks! I'm happy to let you know that we recently released Update 12 for Storyline 360, and you can check out the new features and fixes here!

Specifically included in this version is a fix to address the problem where nested or overlapping lightbox slides would not work correctly in HTML5.

Simply update Storyline to the latest version and republish your project to see the fix. Here's how updating Storyline 360 works.

Let me know if you have any questions about that!

Christine Yachimec

I have the most up-to-date version of 360 on my computer and I am still having issues with lightboxes on the iPad.  I have 9 lightbox links from my base layer.  LMS settings: HTML5 with Flash fallback.  On a PC desktop the lightboxes close fine but on the iPad (Chrome & Safari) I cannot consistently close the lightboxes. Sometimes I can go through all 9 and advance to the next slide, but usually I will get stuck on a lightbox. It varies as to which lightbox I get stuck on. The file was updated from Storyline 2.  Within the course there are other lightboxes but only 1 per slide - these all work with no problems.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christine,

When accessing your newly published version on the iPad have you checked that you're not accessing a cached version? Often a browser will load what was loaded previously unless you've prompted it to refresh and pull the latest content. 

You could test this out by uploading a copy to a site such as Tempshare, Amazon S3, or even SCORM Cloud for LMS content. If it still doesn't work there, then we'd definitely want to take a look at one of your .story files to understand what isn't working based on that fix. Can you share a copy with us here or send along to our Support team here.

Lynn Usack

If this was fixed it is still not working for me and i tried it in Edge and Chrome. The close button doesn't work and/or if you step out of the lightbox everything freezes. We don't use or recognize flash anymore, don't know if that is part of the issue. I followed all instructions for using lightboxes, and they are not working. I really wanted this feature. I now have to embed everything in layers, again. Please contact me and let me know what the status is for this:

lynn.usack@healthspring.com 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Lynn!

Sorry, you're running into this issue with lightboxes. It sounds like the lightbox freezes when clicking the "Close" button or even outside the lightbox. It would be best for our Support Engineers to take a look at your project with the lightboxes to determine if this is a bug that we need to report. Would you mind sharing the .story file with our team in a support case? Your file will be deleted after troubleshooting.

Luis Martinez

Hi All, I see this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue:

I lightbox to a scene with multiple question slides, the last of which uses a button to close the lightbox. Everything just stops, and the buttons blinks but does nothing. 

If, however, I set the button on the first slide in the lightbox-ed scene, it works. The lightbox closes, and the timeline resumes on the base slide.