Gamification example

Feb 10, 2016

Treasure hunter was designed with the intention of being a fun learning aid to a language learning course. The aim of the game is to score as many points as possible by collecting treasure. Learners are encouraged to explore the forest and unlock paths by translating words. New words can be found as scraps of paper in the forest and the learner is played an audio version of each word they discover to aid pronunciation. Each word is also added to the in game notebook which the learner can refer back to whenever they wish.

It's only a short demo to show of the functionality of the game. I'm been creating this in my free time, which has been lacking lately, so I thought it best to share it now since progress is quite slow.

The format of the game was inspired by this game created by Phil Mayor quite a while ago which I found on this thread.

Feedback is welcome. I'd love to hear people opinion of the game and suggestions to improve it.

Game link: http://www.joshgoodswen.com/Portfolio/treasure-hunter/story.html 

18 Replies
Josh Goodswen

Thanks Muhammad. It's difficult to say how long it took because I've been working on it on and off for a few months when I have the time. If I was working on it full time, I could probably have created it in a couple of weeks, and once the frameworks there it's not too time consuming creating new sections of the map.

David Istvan

Hi Josh. Very cool game. Have you used any programming language other than Storyline, e.g. Java? Like to make the character move, etc. ...

Is there any way you could delete/replace the copyrighted images with ones that can be distributed to share the .story file? I'm curious about the underlying structure. I think I could somehow create a version that fits my course, but I'm really lost about how to recreate some of the interactions.

Thanks in any case.

David Istvan

Thanks Mike!

Very useful thread! I'd love to create a similar game for my course, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't even know if the game is created exclusively with SL2, or if it's relying on a programming language to make it and then gets inserted into SL2 as Flash.

I've PMed Rais to ask him about this. In the meanwhile, have you found any explanations or tutorials that describe how to include Flash games into SL2?

Josh Goodswen

Hi David. Sorry I’ve not replied for a while. I’ve been away for a couple of weeks. The game was created entirely in Storyline 2. No programing or Flash involved. Replacing all the images would take quite a while so I don’t think I’ll have time to do it. If there’s anything particular you want to know I’ll try and explain it for you.

I got most of my graphics from http://opengameart.org but created a few myself.

David Istvan

That's great Josh! Thanks for the link. My main hurdle was to make the character's legs move when changing position on the slide. I've created some sprites out of a GIF files and broke it down to a few frames to make a stop-motion animation by making states change, activated by a trigger.

Is that how you made your character's legs move too? Did you use sprites? Where from?

Thanks for your time,
David

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.