Graphic/UI Issues in Storyline 360

May 18, 2022

Hello everyone!

Let me preface this with some background:

1. This happens on all files/new files

2. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, using the cleanup tool in between and tried all available previous versions

3. My graphics card is updated, so is my OS (Windows).

So here's the deal,

When I got a new 4K monitor a while back, I noticed that when I load up SL, the entire UI is pixelated even the slide area, all images and text appear heavily pixelated. This only happens on my big monitor, so I filed it as "annoying but still usable" in my head and kept going since once published, everything looked fine. 

Recently, I noticed that I could not create/edit triggers because the second the trigger window appears, and I move my mouse over it, the window disappears (See "triggers" image). It is still "there" since I have to hit ESC to "close" it, and when hovering over it, some of the options appear as floating text, with drop-down menus even showing if I navigate the window via keyboard. The triggers I needed were awfully simple, so I ended up doing everything else and sending the files to a co-worker who added the triggers for me in the meantime (gotta meet the deadline!).

Now it's gotten worse. When I go to the Player Properties window or the Preview the project, the area where the preview appears looks blank/empty, and the preview itself "pops-out" of the frame, visually blocking the options (in the case of the Player Property window) or the player frame itself (in the case of the Preview interface). You can see the "properties" and "preview" images for reference. Not only that, but it's also spreading to the normal work area. When I import slides from PPT, sometimes the slides look completely empty, but the objects on the slide are there because if I click on them, they show up, but immediately disappear when I click somewhere else. But when I publish it to Review, everything is fine. It's getting really hard to work with this tool and I was wondering if anyone has had this issue or something like it and was able to fix it.

Thanks! 

3 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Mauricio,

Looks like you've already done quite a bit of troubleshooting to address the issue. Sorry to hear that the display issues are still happening. 

As a troubleshooting step, try setting the scaling of your monitors to 100% to see if this helps. You can do this by right-clicking on your desktop, and clicking on 'Display settings'. Here's where you can set the scaling value: 

If the issue persists, please reach out to our support team here so we can take a closer look at what's happening. 

Mauricio Gonzalez

Hey Joe! I ended up talking to the support team before seeing this response. Indeed scaling was the issue. Of course, that served as a workaround for now. Unfortunately, because of my monitor's high native resolution, scaling at 100% means everything on my desktop looks tiny, and borderline unusable. This means that when I want to use Storyline, I have to not only set scaling to 100%, but also bring down the resolution of my monitor from 4096 x 2160 to 2048 x 1152 so I can actually see what I'm doing. For now, the scaling fix allows me to continue working, but it would be nice if the scaling bug was addressed.