Help with Triggers

Apr 04, 2017

I need help adding triggers to a slide that has 4 layers.  I can get the first layer to come up, but can't get the first to leave to allow for the rest to come up.  Please help.  

59 Replies
Walt Hamilton

You can create a trigger that says hide this slide. The wizard will show you all the actions that can trigger the hide action.

Another method is to show a second layer. Slide layers can have their properties set to hide other layers.

A third option I use frequently, is to show several layers at once. I do this by setting their properties so they don't hide other layers. Then to close them all at once, I show a blank layer that is set to hide other layers. It hides them all. it has a very short timeline, and I set its properties to hide when timeline ends.

Adam Cannon

Eileen, Can you share your .story file? I think I understand what you're trying to do., but can't be sure til I see what you're working with.

One way of doing it (and there are many) is to insert a small multiply shape (X) in the top corner, then apply a trigger to that shape that hides the layer. 

But again, it's hard to say exactly without seeing how you've got things set up.

Walt Hamilton

Follow along with this video. it shows creating a layer, and the triggers to show it and hide it. then it shows creating a second layer and its triggers.

The base layer can show either layer 1 or two. Each of the layers contains only the title, and the buttons, allowing the "show layer 2" button from the base layer to show through. When layer 1 was created, it had the "Hide other layers" setting enabled. Since layer 2 is a copy of layer 1, it, too, hides other layers when it shows.

Layer 1 can be hidden by the "hide layer 1" button on layer 1, or by the "Show layer 2" button which is on the base layer, but can be clicked. When layer 2 shows, it hides layer 1.

Layer 2 can be hidden by using one of its 2 buttons; one to hide layer 2, or one to show layer 1 (which hides layer 2).

Any questions, just ask.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.