Forum Discussion

PhoebeSterdan-0
Community Member
5 months ago

Help with Triggers

Hi,

I am relatively novice with storyline 360 and just need an interactive slide. I am familiar with layers, etc. Attached is a picture of the slide I'm working on. Basically I want someone to click the bullet (#1), and then have the text and the example (#2 & #3) appear.  I'm good with the bullets and text (using states), however what is the best approach for having the example (#3) appear (and then disappear) when the bubble is clicked and then the next one, and so on. 

Thank you!

• There are different ways to approach that. You could use states, layers, or a combination. 

Here's one approach: 

• Give each bullet/button three states: Normal (just the bullet), Selected (bullet + label text + some kind of highlighting), and Visited (bullet + label text). 
    • Put the buttons into a button set. That will automatically change a button to Selected when it is clicked, then change it to Visited when another button is Selected. (Here's more info: https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-work-with-button-sets 
    • Put each example on its own layer.
    • Add a trigger to the each button that shows the corresponding layer. 
      • FYI: By default, Slide Layer Properties are set to hide other layers when a layer opens. So the previous example will automatically disappear/close when another button is clicked.
  • Hi Judy,

Thank you so much. I have made layers and added triggers...but I'm clearly missing something in the middle as I can't get past the first layer. I will keep researching...

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

If you need additional help with troubleshooting, I suggest you upload a .story file. Then someone might be able to solve the issue.

Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
      • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
      • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.
      • Be sure to clearly describe the following in the file and/or in the post with the attachment (if you haven’t already done so):
        • What you want to happen
        • What is not happening that should happen
        • What is happening that should not happen
        • What you have already tried
  • Hello,

Thank you! I have attached a file if anyone has a few spare minutes to look at it. 

1. I would like people to click on the circle and have the text appear, and then the example appear in the light blue bar. 

2. I have created layers for each example

3. The circles (aside from the first one) correctly display the text when clicked upon, however only the first layer opens. 

Any assistance on navigating what key piece i'm missing in the background is greatly appreciated. 

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

Your slide is way more complicated than it needs to be. The attached file has an edited version. Here's a summary of what I did:

• I adjusted the Selected state of each circle-button to make it more visually different from the Normal state. I also gave them a Visited state.
      • I deleted the Selected and Visited states from the associated text boxes on the base. Those have an Initial State of Hidden. They only need a Normal state to be shown.
      • On the layers, I deleted everything except the text box with the example. 
        • Your layers had copies of the objects from the base. That's unnecessary--and it makes it virtually impossible to properly control what's showing. 
        • FYI: On the Master Blank Feedback Layout, I formatted its background to No Fill. This allows the objects on the base to show through. 
      • I renamed buttons to start with "b[#]" so they appear in order in the Trigger panel. (I also renamed the text boxes and the layers with matching numbers. This just makes it easier to program and troubleshoot. 
      • For the text boxes on the layers, I adjusted the margins and also left-aligned the text. (It's harder for folks to parse text that's centered.) 
        PhoebeSterdan-0
        Community Member

Oh my gosh, you are a wizard. Thank you so much - I am so thankful to learn so much from this!! I appreciate it more than you know.