Hidden state change occurs on wrong layer

What I would like:

I have a slide with five layers, the base layer and four additional layers. I would like the "next" button (which is hidden) to only be visible on the base layer AFTER all of the four superior layers have been explored.  

My Problem:

Using True/False variables, I have set the "next" button to appear only once all the variables have their values changed (with the trigger being a variable change of any of the four variables).  However what happens the next button gains visibility only on the layer in which it was triggered, and going back to the base layer hides it again. 

I tried setting the event to trigger upon clicking of any of the layer links, and the result makes the the next button visible on all the layers EXCEPT the base layer. Which is especially strange considering the "hide options on base layer" is on in all of the slides anyways.

I have also played with the settings for resetting/resuming initial state upon revisit and that did not affect anything.

Any ideas on what the problem is?  I have explored the thought of making them separate slides, but my project is complicated and I like the simplicity of it all on one slide if that is possible in this situation.

3 Replies
Anne Goldenberger

Matt McGee said:

I have a slide with five layers, the base layer and four additional layers. I would like the "next" button (which is hidden) to only be visible on the base layer AFTER all of the four superior layers have been explored.   


Matt, which layer is the Next button on?  If it's on the base layer,  as you state here, then it would never appear when "hide objects on base layer" is selected for each of the layers.

Matt McGee said:

Which is especially strange considering the "hide options on base layer" is on in all of the slides anyways.

Matt McGee

Anne Goldenberger said:


Matt, which layer is the Next button on?  If it's on the base layer,  as you state here, then it would never appear when "hide objects on base layer" is selected for each of the layers.

I apologize for the bad audio, I didn't realize my mic wasn't plugged in, but audio aside here is a video illustrating the issue.  All of my "hide objects on base layer" buttons are checked, the next button is only on the base layer, but when I click through it appears on the wrong layer. 

Suggestions are welcome, thanks for your time!

Anne Goldenberger

Hmmm, odd.   I couldn't spot any triggers that would doing that, but it's a bit hard to poke around when watching a video.

You said you already tried 'reset to initial state' when revisiting?  I would definitely set them all that way; I'd actually prefer that was the default, as it's not often I want to resume the saved state.

Also you might try publishing it (instead of just previewing) and see if the same thing occurs.

Maybe deleting temporary Internet files also?  Just thinking something might be 'stuck' there.