HotSpot Graded Question Issues in Storyline 360

Mar 13, 2019

No matter how many times I test this, some of my learners complain about hotspot questions. The learner feedback varies from:

·        It worked fine

·        It’s frozen - my curser can’t click anywhere, and I can’t move to the next question.

·        No mater where I click the selected spot is in the upper left corner

·        I click the right place and it marked me wrong

·        The place selected is about an inch below where I click

·        And so on

Solutions that work some of the time:

·        Expand course pop-up to full screen (great for click location accuracy)

·        Clear cache and cookies and start over

The frustrating thing is I can’t narrow down the possibilities or duplicate the problem consistently. I can’t tell if it’s my file, the published scorm file, the lms, or the learner’s computer.

Attached is a file of some of the hotspot questions not necessarily the full file my learners are complaining about.

Has anyone had this problem before?

5 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey there, Snap Learning. I published your course and uploaded it to SCORM Cloud for testing. You can temporarily access it here.

I couldn't replicate the issue either. We documented similar behavior in Internet Explorer where the browser window was smaller than the player, or resized to be smaller. The incorrect area would be marked when clicking on the slide. 

Does the sample project you attached have the same slide size (720x540) as your actual course? Can you find out if Internet Explorer is a common browser among affected users?

Grant Bushman

Good questions Crystal!

The slide size is the same (720x540) and Chrome is our browser of choice. 

When the course opens learners either have to enlarge the screen or scroll. So yes, a little bigger than the pop-up.  I have instructions to the learner to maximize the pop-up all the way.  Which handles that 1 particular problem but not the others. One of my trusted learners who experience some of the other problems, also tested it in SCORM Cloud and we never duplicated the problem. 

I noticed that SCORM Cloud had a note about the site using cache/cookies and wonder how big a role stored browser data play on an ecourse.  

- Susan

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Susan, 

Do you know what update of Chrome folks are using, the latest is ver. 73? The latest update I see on the issue Crystal mentioned is that it'snot longer reproducible for us in the latest update of Storyline 360, build 3.25.18088.0. Do you know what version you've published with?

Often if a learner is accessing a course again, the cache/cookies are there to help the learner pick up where they left off if you've enabled the resume behavior. It shouldn't cause an issue with how the course plays back or prevent a learner from clicking on items. 

Grant Bushman

My chrome is version 72 and I believe most of my learners are the same. 

I published on Storyline 360 version 3.25.18088.0

Our current line of thought is that a Chrome Extension is causing problems. Our IT folks have told us this extension has caused other errors as well.  We are asking learners to launch the course in incognito mode to test the theory.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.