Hover trigger not working properly in lightbox slide for Articulate 360

Jan 17, 2017

I have an issue with Articulate 360. I'm using hotspots on a lightbox slide that triggers show layers when hovered over. When I preview "slide " or " scene" it works fine. When I preview "Entire Project " or publish project the hover feature doesn't work.

I've attached the .story file. Click on the Help tab to trigger lightbox slide.

Thanks.

42 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lou!

Thank you for sharing your file here. Preview mode in Storyline 360 displays HTML5 content. Out of curiosity, I published your course with Flash to see if HTML5 was the culprit - here is the link to the published course. It all seems to be working as expected in Flash. 

I'm going to continue doing some digging to find out why this is happening in HTML5. I'll pop back in when I have more to share!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi again Lou - I was able to reproduce the behavior in a new file, and I shared this information with our Quality Assurance team. For now, the workaround I would suggest is to avoid using HTML5 in publishing, if you can. I’ll be sure to post any updates here in this discussion, and you’ll receive an email notification because you are now subscribed to this post. :)

Alyssa Gomez

Great question! In Storyline 360, you can choose which formats are included in your published output—HTML5, Flash, and/or Articulate Mobile Player.

1. Click the Formats property on the Publish window to open this Publish Formats dialog.

Publish Formats in Articulate Storyline 360
  2. Here you'll want to choose Flash/HTML5 or Flash only

Is there possibility that some learners may take this course on a mobile device? If so, you'll want to choose Flash/HTML5, as the course will not play on a mobile device without HTML5.

Lauren Honeycutt

I have a similar issue when publishing to HTML5 (our standard). We include a Player Tab for a Tutorial in the Topbar Right, that triggers a lightbox to appear. After publishing, you can click the tab and the lightbox appears, but it will not disappear when you click the X to exit. However, the slides continue on in the background as if the lightbox is gone. This is a feature in all of our courses and a major concern for us in 360.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Lauren,

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. After you publish to HTML5, where do you host the published content? You'll want to be sure you're testing it in the same environment your users will view it in. You can also test it in Articulate Review by publishing to Articulate 360. I created a sample file and published to HTML5 only for you to test. How does that look on your end?

If you're still having trouble, could you share the .story file with me so I can take a closer look?

Narda Butler

I'll add "me, too!" to this conversation! I am trying to show and hide navigational arrows depending upon where the user's mouse is. I've tried a hover spot, an empty shape and a text box to trigger the state change. While they all work fine as regular slides, they all fail when the slide is a lightbox. Disappointing. (And I wish I'd found this thread earlier in the day!!)

Alyssa Gomez

Good news, everyone! 

We just released another update for Storyline 360, and it includes a fix for the issue where hotspots on lightbox slides that are set to trigger a layer didn't work correctly. 

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.