How can I install Storyline 360, and the rest of the bunch, to a D: drive, not C:?

Feb 09, 2017

It would be great to run Articulate programs from an SSD drive.  I tried using the Command Prompt Technique referenced for SL2...  https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-change-the-installation-location-for-articulate-storyline-2

But I had no luck.  It still installed the '360 installer' on the C:drive.  And the 360 installer just installs programs where ever it's sitting.  

Anybody done this successfully?  

Pinned Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news! We released another update for Articulate 360, detailed in our version history.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Choose the directory on your local computer where Articulate 360 apps get installed. Learn more about customizing your install folder.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

37 Replies
Jeremy Terhune
Lauren Connelly

Hi Taylor!

I'm happy to offer an update! I know we are all navigating these changes together.

Right now, we aren't changing the path of the installation for Articulate 360. Articulate 360 is continuously validating your subscription, pushing update information and having a lot of elements tied to it, so installing it outside of these defined locations isn't something that we can support.

If you have any additional questions, I'd recommend reaching out to our team in a support case!

Boo! This is not an update, its toeing the line.

Taylor, since Articulate keeps coming up with excuses on why this basic feature that virtually all other software in the known universe has, follow the steps provided by Soren J Birch which will solve your problem.

I did this two years ago and it was a much easier experience than waiting for Articulate to realize how simple it is to solve this problem without causing their software to self-implode.

Karyn Lemberg

So- I just got a new computer and am going through the fun of reinstalling all my software :-) and finding out which ones are nasty and commandeer the C: drive. I have multiple drives in here so I can keep system/program/data and work-related files separate from each other, but Articulate still wont allow a choice of file locations?

Just came to look this up and it seems there is still no resolution & yes I'll make a support case. I can't believe in 4 years nothing has changed. Even the Adobe puts their small installer on C:, but allows you to select which drive to install the actual programs/apps on.

Paul Massey

I agree with everything said on this post, I have a new system partitioned with lots of space on my D drive, but limited to 256 GB on the c drive... Articulate is constantly causing problems with spare capacity on my C drive, even though all projects are on my D drive.

Seems to me that there needs to be more investment placed onto update the Articulate Storyline programme!

Paul Massey

Just be aware that with Articulate Storyline loading onto your C drive, even if all of your projects are on your D drive, you will find that every ''.tmp' file will be stored on your C drive typically in this location: Users/yourusername/AppData/Roaming/Articulate/Storyline

You will also find that over time these tmp files eat a huge chunk of disc capacity, so you will need to regularly remove them... every time a Storyline project crashes (which is very regular on new top end systems) and when it just performs an auto save, these files will continue to mount up!

Eric Bybee

NOTE DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ: Ce courriel, ainsi que toute pièce y étant jointe, contient de l’information pouvant être confidentielle et protégée par le privilège avocat-client, ou toute autre privilège légal, et/ou de l’information exclusive et non publique. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message ni l’assistant autorisé du destinataire, veuillez en aviser l’émetteur en répondant à ce message pour que nous puissions corriger nos dossiers afin d’éviter que cette erreur se reproduise, et veuillez effacer ce message de votre système. L’utilisation, la diffusion, la distribution ou la reproduction de ce message et/ou de ses pièces jointes (le cas échéant) par des destinataires imprévus n’est pas autorisée et pourrait être illégale. Nous apprécions votre coopération quant à cette demande.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message so that we can correct our records to avoid the mistake in the future and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful. Your cooperation with this request is appreciated.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news! We released another update for Articulate 360, detailed in our version history.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Choose the directory on your local computer where Articulate 360 apps get installed. Learn more about customizing your install folder.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.