How to set js triggers in storyline360 pages to track events on google analytics?

Aug 29, 2019

Hi,

In order to set up my js triggers, I am carefully following this article: https://stevenwestmoreland.com/2019/03/using-google-analytics-with-articulate-storyline.html

However, when I check my GA, I don't see my events at all as if the triggers never send a message back to GA after I click on my storyline slides. I have even tried the examples in the article and nothing seems to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear, here is a snippet of the code I am adding to one slide in storyline, i.e. to a button:

ga('send', 'event', 'Button', 'click', 'Brownies (2-3)');

So, when I click this specific button when running the app, I should be able to see the event in GA, but I am not. The javascript trigger never fires to capture the event. Why not?

Thanks

4 Replies
Alex Briones

I have successfully resolved this issue, and here is what I found out;

Most people develop their projects, i.e. storyline360, and then they add event triggers to check them on Google Analytics. My issue was the order in which I added triggers. Here is how they look before they could get fired. They have the wrong order. The next slide shows the right order. To change the order, one needs to select the trigger and move it up using the arrow key on the storyline app.

David Golden

Hello, I'm reviving an old thread. I'm using Storyline 3 and publishing to AWS S3. I've followed Steven Westmoreland's tutorial, but I don't see screen views in GA. It does track button clicks, so with some careful labeling I can follow the user's path. 

I'm trying to isolate what's blocking the screen view data. Is it an issue with AWS S3, or do I have to use Storyline 360 to make it work?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.