Html 5 output

Jul 30, 2014

Hello. I'm having a problem with the activities I've already published because some of them works on ipad, some of them don't. Even if I checked the 'Include HTML 5 output' and 'Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad', still it doesn't work.

I wonder why it doesn't work? It's kind of frustrating trying to figure it out why.

19 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Zelle and welcome to Heroes!

I'm sorry to hear about the odd behavior with your files, but we'd likely need to know more about which ones were not working. A few items, you'll want to check in are:

If you have a course that you'd like to share with us we're happy to take a look. Please let us know as much information about the above as you can, and what specifically is not working in the course?

Zelle Samson

Thank you for replying Ashley.

I'm on update 6. I'm using safari on iPad, it does work on safari but it doesn't automatically open on Articulate Mobile Player. It should open automatically on Articulate Mobile Player if it's downloaded on the iPad, right? But mine doesn't. The problem is if I choose both HTML 5 output and Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad before I publish it, it doesn't automatically open on the Articulate Mobile Player. But, if I choose ONLY the Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad it opens automatically on the player. And sometimes the video doesn't play on the course. It's LMS hosted. I hope you can help me figure out the reason why it doesn't open up automatically on the mobile player.

Zelle Samson

This course is downloaded on the Articulate Mobile Player because I only chose the 'Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad'. But if I choose both 'HTML 5 output' and 'Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad' before I publish, it won't open on Articulate Mobile Player, only on safari. And the first time we tried it, the video plays, but the second time, it doesn't.

I really really hope you can help me solve this problem.

Thank you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Zelle,

Thanks for sharing your file here. Upon opening it I saw that you were publishing for SCORM 1.2 and that is likely the reason you are unable to access the course in the Mobile player. To use the mobile player with an LMS you'll need to have an LMS that supports Tin Can API and choose that as your publishing option. This will mostly depend on if your LMS requires a login. If so learners might not be able to use the Articulate Mobile Player, because browsers cannot pass security credentials to iPad apps unless the LMS supports Tin Can API. You'll need to test your published output in your particular LMS environment if you plan to allow viewing in Articulate Mobile Player. This is described here a bit further.

You also mentioned a video not playing, and I took a look at the .story file you shared here with us and I didn't see a video on any of the slides or the layers. Did you possibly attach the wrong slide? If I missed it could you let me know which slide it appears on?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Amandeep,

In regards to the error you're receiving, have you reviewed this troubleshooting article for when you can't access content on the mobile player? I'm not sure what you mean about importing the story.html file, but you'll need to place the published output within a web server or LMS and then access that link from the iPad opening it within Safari or from an email link to see the course display in Mobile Safari or in the Mobile player depending on your publish settings.

If I'm misunderstanding, could you provide a bit more information about your set up.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Zelle,

I just replied in your case, and shared an updated copy of your MP4 that I reencoded using Handbrake. I was able to insert that one into your file and publish to SCORM Cloud where the video played as expected within the iPad using mobile safari. Please feel free to let us know here and within the case how that version works for you. It seems that the MP4 format was what was causing some difficulties within the iPad, and converting it using a tool such as Handbrake with the standard MP4 settings allowed it to work as expected.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.