Huge file size (350MB) due to video - adjusting video compression did not help

Nov 07, 2016

Hi - I have a very small course, in which I've included 2 videos (one was 200MB and the other 140MB). I converted both files to MP4, which brought the collective total of approximately 60MB.  I read the discussions and tried the fixes mentioned in similar posts; specifically, (1) deleting the large video file and replacing with MP4 version, saving as new file, close storyline, reopen new file.  There was NO adjustment to the file size.  (2) adjusting the compression in the video converter (Windows movie maker) to match the specifications in the more in-depth technical post on the similar problem, but with SCORM files.  The end result was a reduced (but acceptable) quality video, and a reduction in file size by only 20MB. 

What am I doing wrong?  Theoretically, this course file should not exceed 80MBB in total.  HELP! 

Thanks in advance...Paula

8 Replies
Richard Hill

Hi Paula, I think I've seen this.  In my situation I had imported in the files as webobjects so this might not help, but here's what helped me. First, make a copy of your .story file, delete the video files within it, then try changing the name of your import folder( the one where your videos are stored). Finally re-import the videos back. It sounds weird, but in my case it completed fixed the issue.

Richard Hill

Come to think of it, if you're not using a webObject, then Leslie's idea seems the proper work around.( my deepest apologies- sorry)  It's similar in concept in that you're trying to flush Storyline's grip on that original file.  

TMI-(too much info part): I import videos via webObjects occasionally, because they play a tad faster.  The import folder is any folder that has an index.html file in it that you point your webObject to.  Storyline copies all the contents of this folder into itself.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Marcos, 

Within Storyline 3 and 360, MP3 files are generated with an audio bitrate of 192 kbps. These audio tracks are stored in your project file. (Tip: To make a backup copy of your narration or use it in other projects, export it from Storyline 360 or Storyline 3.)

When you publish, the MP3 files get re-encoded at the audio bitrate you choose in the quality settings:

• Standard uses an audio bitrate of 56 kbps.
    • Custom lets you select an audio bitrate between 16 kbps and 160 kbps.

As for videos, if you choose to not compress the video output when you are publishing, then they won't be re-encoded and compressed as a part of the publishing process. We'll just work with exactly what you gave us!

However, there is no fixed bit rate associated with each of the numeric stops on the video quality slider and therefore not a set maximum I could share, as it's based on how our algorithm works with each individual video.  With the video quality slider set at 9 for example, we have seen videos that publish at over 2000kbps and other videos that publish at under 300kbps.  It's really all about the quality of the video that you bring into Storyline, and if you chose to not compress it how our algorithm decides it can best optimize the video.

Hope that helps clarify! 

Marcos Dutra

Yes, it does.
Thanks for the thorough response. Your algorythm probably Works with
contant quality/variable bitrate.
That would be my next question, Storyline has no problems dealing with
inputs in variable bitrate?
Some apps dont like them, and there may be synch problems. Not the case
here, I suppose.

Thanks

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.