Hyperlink to Internal Single Sign-On Application in Storyline results in "404 Not Found" Error

Aug 18, 2016

Good afternoon, Community.

I've run into something new today. I tried creating a hyperlink in Storyline (SL)that points to an internal web application (.jsp) where the authentication takes place through Single Sign-On. When I first tested the URL in the Trigger Wizard, I got the 404 error, so I thought maybe I needed to publish the file first. I published an .exe file saved to my own pc and tried the link again--same 404 error. The URL works when I imbed it in MS Office documents, such as an Outlook email message. The format of the link is https://sso.secure.***.com/[web app directory]/webapp.jsp.

The next thing I wanted to try was launching the link in a different browser (I had been using Internet Explorer (IE)). Even after changing my default browser to Google Chrome, I noticed that the SL .exe file still launched links in IE, disregarding my default browser settings. Does SL only use IE locally when publish as an .exe file? Is there a setting I can change to cause it to launch links in other browsers?

I would be grateful for any recommendations you may have!

Best Regards,

-Brandon

6 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Brandon!

Looks like Brian is popping in to assist here, but I did want to share some information on the links and IE.

When you publish content for CD or another offline location (DVD, kiosk, etc.), hyperlinks in the published output will always open in Internet Explorer—even if a different browser is the default browser. See this article for more information.

Brandon Lancaster

Brian:
Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestion and published for LMS and saved the output folder to my local hard drive. I launched the "story.htm" file, and when I click the link I am re-directed (as expected) to the login url; however, after signing on, the re-direction back to the original url target produces the 404 not found error. Refreshing the page does no good. When I compare the url displayed in the address bar on the 404 error page with a separate browser window page containing the web application I was trying to navigate to (accessed via the exact same hyperlink, but within an email message rather than SL), the paths are exactly the same. There must be something else going on behind the scenes that’s invisible to me.

Leslie:
Thank you for the info on IE! It’s helpful to know that is how it’s supposed to work.

Brandon Lancaster

My coworker helped me to isolate the issue--but we still don't have a solution. It turns out that when you type any code into a "Jump to URL/File" or an "Execute JavaScript" trigger, it converts everything to lower-case by default. Even though urls are case-insensitive, for some reason our Single Sign-On (SSO) application IS case sensitive when referencing the url. Unfortunately, the url I want to access must have capital letters in order for our SSO to recognize it -- but Storyline automatically converts all of my code to lowercase.

Does anyone know of a way around this, other than editing the published files?

Brandon Lancaster

UPDATE: I was wrong about Storyline (SL) converting my code to lower case. It seems that instead the problem is related to some caching behavior in SL. If I simply open the coding window and re-type some lower-case letters as upper-case, Storyline compares its cached version of the code with my current changes and doesn't see any difference, and so it keeps its cached version rather than my changes, and the letters stay lower-cased after I close the JS window.  However, if I change anything else about the code--for example, adding a new line with a comment, SL sees a difference and then keeps my edits rather than its cached version.

Good news is, after I was able to insert the appropriate capital characters into the URL, it worked!

So, if you're trying to create a hyperlink to an application behind your company's Single Sign-On (SSO), and the SSO is case-sensitive in the way it handles urls:

• use an "Execute JavaScript" trigger instead of a "Jump to URL/file" trigger. The "Jump to URL" trigger converts urls to lower-case during publishing.
  • In the "Exectute JavaScript" trigger, use a JS "window.open()" method to specify your URL with capital letters.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.