Hyperlinks not Working

Mar 12, 2014

Hi everyone,

I can't get my hyperlinks to work and I'm wondering if someone can help. I think I can upload my story for you to review. I'm not sure if our firewall will prevent it but I'd like to try.

Here's my setup:

I have added a hyperlink to three different objects on the first page to test:

1. Link added to text box
  2. Link added to the text in the text box
  3. Link added to a shape

I get the same results for all three:

1. Links in Story.html don't open when clicked in IE8, or Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m (these are our baseline browsers and the links must work in them). I can tab to them with my keyboard but pressing the Enter key does not select them. I tried the links on my local drive and our server.
  2. Links in story_html5.html open in Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m but I can't tab to them in the course. Actually, I can't tab to anything when I view the demo in Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m. I tried the links on my local drive and our server.

Is there anyone who can help?

Thanks!

Kris

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kris,

Thanks for confirming that you also tested on a server, as testing off your local drive could cause you to encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your content to fail.   

Are you text boxes set up with any animation like animate by first level paragraph? 

If you're still experiencing the behavior and would like for us to take a look can you share that sample test file here with us? 

Kris S

Thank you thank you thank you! I uploaded it to tempshare and the links work. 

It looks like I can tab to all of the linked objects on the page but only the shape and the hyperlinked text box open the website. Hyperlinked text inside of a text box doesn't seem to work. I also get different results when tabbing in Chrome. In this thread...

http://community.articulate.com/forums/t/23582.aspx

Steve says "... we deal exclusively in IE so it's not something we've looked into deeply." Is this still accurate? It's dated January 2013 so I'm not sure if it still applies.

Thanks again for your help!

Kris

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kris,

In regards to using Jaws, I'm fairly certain they only support Internet Explorer - so you'd want to use that as your browser. 

For the hyperlinked text within the text box, I'd try using the arrow keys to move around once the box is selected. I know that's the behavior you'd use for the Resource tab or the menu within the player, so I'd suspect the same may work for an object on your screen. If not, you may want to look into setting them all up as individual text boxes. 

Kris S

Hi there,

It's the tabbing I was concerned about instead of JAWS. I can tab to everything in IE and Chrome but the hyperlinked text doesn't open with the Enter key or any other key. Because Storyline saves text boxes as graphics I can't tab into it and move around like I can with Resources and the menu. 

I know that the other two options (#1 and #3) work so I'm good to go. 

Thanks for your help!

Kris

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.