IE11 won't display SL font correctly
Mar 10, 2020
I'd like to preface this by letting you know this issue stems from security settings for IE that I do not have control over.
Summary: Viewing Storyline 360 projects in Internet Explorer 11 do not display the fonts they were packaged with - instead they show IE11's fallback font.
If you are unfamiliar with what this looks like from the end user's view, check the attached image. Each line should be displayed as the font it's written as, but instead are defaulting to my browsers backup setting.
This seems to happen for every font and I can't replicate this in modern browsers like Chrome, Firefox or Edge. This also only occurs on computers connected to my corporate network, or other similar networks. For example, my home computer does not experience this issue in Internet Explorer 11.
Some of the things I've tried include:
- Trying a variety of websafe fonts (Again, this seems to happen for every font)
- Checking my settings in IE11 to enable font download (Our settings are enabled but likely overwritten by our network)
- Editing the CSS to change the base64 encoded font to be more direct in reference (URL or packaged file)
The last three options I seem to have are:
- Telling users not to use IE
- Converting every instance of text in my modules to a PNG
- Contacting my IT department to remove the block on downloading fonts.
PNG's are time-consuming, a nightmare for translation and preferably the last resort option. Because the setting in IE is likely a security concern, contacting IT isn't really an option. And while most users are probably using modern browsers, I need all users to have the same experience. This includes those who prefer to use a browser more familiar to them. (IE)
Has anyone out there overcome a similar problem? Can you think of anything I haven't already tried? At this point, I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!
Lastly, it seems what I'm experiencing has been covered before, David Hansen's comments in this thread. This is very close to what I'm describing: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/web-safe-fonts
This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.