Images in Storyline disappear from presentation after publish

Feb 11, 2013

Hello,
I'm having an issue with a presentation in Storyline whereby my images (jpegs & pngs) have disappeared. They appear in the preview pane, but in the slide view, they are missing. If I then preview the project, they don't appear.

The slides these images appear on only have 1 layer. It seems as though the images are there- if you click on the slide, there is an active object outline where they should be. I have tried removing these blank boxes and re-inserting the images using the Insert> Picture function but all that is inserted is an empty object box.

I have also attempted to view the presentation on a colleague's pc with Storyline installed but the same issue has occurred.

I am working with the images locally, When creating, editing, or publishing a Storyline project, from local hard drive (typically your C: drive).

I used images from Insert> Characters > photograph>

I have put in a lot of effort and time in animating the slides and If I have to redo it again I will be behind schedule.

Please find the attached source file for your reference.

140 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Suman - and I saw that the image was missing from the slide itself but visible in the slide view on the left hand slide. Are you able to connect with our Support engineers? We'll need to know the exact steps you've gone through in terms of inserting the image and they'll also want to take a look at the original image file as well. Please let me know once you've submitted the case so that I can follow along. 

Hi Jo,

We recommend working locally for that reason and a number of others associated with corruption. If you need to back up your files to a shared or network drive, that's ok to do - you'll just want to ensure you have saved and closed the file before uploading, and then download to your local drive before opening it to edit. 

Mark Dodd

I have also had this issue with Storyline 1, and have discovered a workaround. The issue is not reliably replicable, but one thing has been common with every time I've experienced it: objects have been moved either from a shared file to a local file, or from a local file to a shared file. When copying Objects from a local file to a shared file, I often experience them disappearing. I've tried creating new files from which to put the images into the shared file, but that makes no difference. They always keep disappearing once they have started to.

I tried solving this by relocating the storyline file from the shared folder to my desktop, but the issue would keep reoccurring. However, if I move the file to my desktop, save as under a different name, save the file of origin as under a different name as well, then all objects can be copied, pasted, or transferred using whatever means possible without issue. The key is to make sure that any movement of objects goes on only between files that have been saved as something new locally. Objects that go in between local and shared folders, or a local folder and a folder that was recently shared, are prone to disappearing in my experience. 

I hope that helps. 

Michael Hutchinson

This still happens in Storyline 2.

Is a fix any nearer?

If not this really isn't good enough.

Replacing an image here or there isn't too bad if working on a project that is a few screens long. However when it comes to delivering a large project to a client only to find images randomly don't appear it is a nightmare. In these cases it reflects badly on us when actually it is a SL2 issue. We can't turn to the client a blame SL2. 

Scouring a project that deals with hundreds of images on different screens and different layers just to make sure all images are ok everytime the project is updated should not be expected/required when delivering a project.

With errors/issues like this is SL2 a viable professional authoring tool?

Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere

Hi Michael,

We haven't heard nearly as many reports of images disappearing in Storyline 2, and those that have been shared have often been tracked down to corruption issues from using the files on a network or shared drive. If you're able to replicate this issue while working locally, and are able to determine any other conditions on how it happens our team is looking for examples to investigate further. I'd want to have you reach out to our Support Engineers here to fully investigate this. 

Rick Cheeseman

Hi Ashley,

I'm working in Storyline 1 and the missing images problem has just occurred.  That is, the image appears in Preview but is gone in the Publish.  I've been through this entire thread and there are a host of suggestions.  

Is there any page that consolidates all the tested and proven suggestions for Storyline 1 - i.e. a solutions page similar to https://en-uk.articulate.com/support/storyline/unexpected-or-erratic-behavior-in-articulate-storyline?_ga=1.265538188.2069640585.1400776325 that you provided on page 2 of the thread, but updated as appropriate with later information?

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately there is not. The issue has been inconsistent and the results of each suggested solution also worked inconsistently for individuals. With that type of set up, it's hard for our team to pin point and narrow down a cause and we don't want to document elements that aren't known to always fix an issue. The general issue is one of file corruption and so ensuring you're saving and working on local project files is our main recommendation and guideline for going forward on new projects. 

Rick Cheeseman

Thoughtthat might be the case. In any case, I only had to do step 2. of
the detailed repair instructions but did have to go back to a
pre-corrupted version for the repair/rebuildto work. Lessons learned:
back up often, publish often.Not always practicalso at least I will know
what to do if there is a next time. Thank you.

MIke Bowie

Hi Ashley,

I've just had exactly the same problem with Storyline 2. I have a project made up of individual stories saved in our document control system. When you check these out they are now local files (C://). I am then 'Importing' these into a complete course that comprises 14 modules (or stories) and this is saved locally on my computer. I don't have large file names or special characters. Everything was fine until yesterday until I published the course on our LMS. Now the course has decided to hide my images while still showing their markers on the slide. They are displaying on the layer 'snapshot' but not the slide itself. This along with the multiple crashes when in the slide master view is killing me...

MIke Bowie

Just an update for anyone who is still reading this thread after 3 years..... I remade one of the affected slides using images I had batch changed in photoshop to *.PNG (from *.JPG) and then re-imported them into my complete course. 

Everything worked well EXCEPT the one file I accidentally imported back in as a JPG. So in my case at least, Storyline 2 CANNOT handle jpg files.....

Hopefully this will help others and also allow you to potentially pinpoint the issue in what is otherwise a really intuitive and easy to use program.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your community contributions, they have helped tremendously.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that update and narrowing it down. You mentioned it didn't appear once upload to your LMS - but if you looked at the .story file after that were the images still missing in there too? If so, I'd like to have you share a copy of the .story file and the problematic JPEG image with our Support engineers here. If it only wasn't appearing in the LMS I'd also want to confirm that you were working on viewing the published output in one of the supported environments as described here.  Also, you could look at uploading it to another LMS testing environment such as SCORM Cloud which is an industry standard for LMS testing. 

Let us know how it goes and if you choose to go the case route, please let me know the case number so that I can follow along. 

Joseph Willis Jr

Hello,

When the course I am working on is published to the LMS, images, shapes and layers (except for text) do not appear.

While I am waiting to hear back from our LMS experts, would anyone know if it could be something wrong on my end?

When testing locally for both LMS and CD publishing, everything looks and functions correctly. The issues arise when testing on our LMS.

Thanks

MIke Bowie

Thanks Ashley, sorry I just got back to you on this. I can't upload as it hasn't happened again since I made all graphics .PNGs (so there is nothing remaining of the corrupt versions).

It was in the actual story file where I was getting the 'invisible box' syndrome as mentioned by quite a few folk here. This disappeared when I removed files then replaced them with *.PNG. As a note of reference, this happened to my boss when he was using a demo version of the software locally when publishing to our LMS.

I will keep an eye on it and if I can reproduce it I will open a ticket with your guys and reference the number with yourself. Thanks again.

Winke Wieers

In my story file the numbers in green cirkels disappear when previewing or publishing the e-learning. The file was created on a local drive, but published on a network drive.

You can see the numbers in slide 4, but when you preview only the green cirkles are visible.... file attached

Can anyone help me with this?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.