Import 3d shapes into articulate storyline 360?

Jun 06, 2018

I have a powerpoint slide with 3D shapes/objects. However, when I import the slide into storyline 360, they import flat and lose there 3D characteristics

13 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there, Dana! From my understanding, 3D shapes are not fully supported. One option may be to host just those shapes in another location, and then use a Web Object to link them – more on this route here!

I honestly haven't come across many 3D inquiries and would love to learn more. Would you be willing to share that PowerPoint slide with me so I can investigate the issue and find other potential alternatives for you?

I'll be here, and perhaps you may find some insight in these 3D discussions in the meantime:

Theresa Halverson

I would love to also see 3D shapes integrated into Storyline 360. I'm surprised how many things from PPT haven't been carried over into  Storyline. I always figured Storyline would have everything from PPT plus more. Why make a "new and better" product when it's new and only partially better in select areas?

Tracey Stokely

I am redesigning our Pop-Up Escape Room to make part of it eLearning and part Virtual Live. I need to be able for learners to get objects and "pick them up" and turn them around 360o to be able to look at all sides of them. Any .obj object is what I would like to use. I've just started looking at them but you can download a whole bunch of free .obj 3D models online to use. I want to be able to incorporate these into my Storyline "game" so that learners can view these objects in 3D and move them themselves to look at all sides. I've just added a .obj file for you to see. To see what I mean of how to use it, you can add the file to a PPT page and move it 360o.

Susan Schleef

I can add another use case here.  I work for the American Red Cross creating training for the staff who set up computer-related equipment at disaster response sites.  Traditionally we've done a 2-1/2 day in-person training every year where attendees get experience setting up and taking down many types of equipment -- from hand-held radios, cell phones, and laptops to multi-user printers, network servers, and satellite dish receivers.

This year we are looking into how to create some type of virtual substitute and I've been exploring how we might be able to develop and use 3D models of some of the equipment.  Ideally I'd like to have a screen where the viewer could rotate the model and click on different point to learn about the various ports and other parts of the equipment.  And I would do something similar as a quiz or exercise, too, where the viewer would have to identify where a certain cable should be plugged in, etc.

I saw another article that mentioned using a slider to rotate objects and that seems worth exploring for now.  And that would not require a continuous, smooth animated turn.  We could just take a series of photos from different angles and have the course viewers use a slider to turn an object in different directions.

Kelly Auner

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for reaching out!

Since this is an older post, I'd like to provide a quick update. You can create immersive learning experiences with 360° images by following the steps outlined, here! You can add interactive elements, such as hotspots and markers to engage learners as they explore.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Andrea.

While 3D models are not currently supported, you can embed them as a web object. Take a look at this discussion.

I also wanted to share a workaround by Tom Kuhlmann, and one of our E-Learning Challenges related to this subject:

I hope this helps!