Importing questions from EXCEL

Dec 01, 2017

Create a quiz question by importing an EXCEL sheet, and every choice can have unique feedback.  Form view of the quiz question shows the Feedback Drop-down has None / By Question / By Choice.  See the attached snapshot.

Create a quiz question using the keyboard and I don't find any way to reach the "By Choice" option.

Sam

4 Replies
Sam Carter

I found that Multiple Choice supports choice-by-choice feedback in EXCEL or when creating questions in the SL user-interface. So this is something I'd never noticed in the UI before.

This raises another question:  The documentation on EXCEL imports doesn't indicate any way to provide feedback responses for question types other than multiple choice.

We use a lot of true/false, and multiple-response, often answering these incorrectly requires some specific feedback; not global like "you got that wrong".

Is there a way to provide correct or incorrect feedback for questions other than multiple choice?

Sam

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Sam!

I'm not sure I'm following your first question when you mention creating a quiz question by keyboard? Can you clarify what you mean? Your image shows the By Choice option you mentioned, but it sounds like you couldn't add it in?

As far as importing questions from an Excel Spreadsheet, if the feedback is by question, you will use the default feedback in the quiz.

Sam Carter
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Sam!

I'm not sure I'm following your first question when you mention creating a quiz question by keyboard? Can you clarify what you mean? Your image shows the By Choice option you mentioned, but it sounds like you couldn't add it in?

As far as importing questions from an Excel Spreadsheet, if the feedback is by question, you will use the default feedback in the quiz.

Two things: 

Default feedback is not much good for another other than "Sorry, you did not select the correct response".  Questions are diverse and many need detailed incorrect feedback. The default feedback provided is of no use.

Creating a quiz by keyboard: This is the normal method of quiz entry.  Authors type the question and choices using the keyboard into the Quiz form field of Storyline.

Leslie McKerchie

I understand Sam. You can change the actual default text via Text Labels if you wish, otherwise, you would need to do so for each question in the software as this is not available during import.

As for the By Choice option when adding a quiz, I was confused because your image showed the selection, so I'm assuming you are asking about where the feedback goes.

I recorded a brief Peek video so that we can make sure we are on the same page and just let me know if that's what you were asking or if you have further questions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.