In Storyline 360 editor: how to see not all the animation elements at once

Apr 25, 2019

Hello everyone,

I am creating a post-production animation layer above the recorded video,
in the SL 360.
After adding a few graphical elements - my editing view becomes very cluttered, as all the elements are always displayed in my editing view (all the arrows, circles etc). So even if at the given timeline point only one circle shows in the final output project - during my editing all of the elements are shown always. Is there a way to see only the relevant elements at each timline point during my editing? I find that hiding and inhiding corresponding layers is not a practical solution.  

It would be also comfortable to see at each point which video frame lies underneath (currently I have the video as an imported file but work in blind over it).
Maybe the SL is not the best tool for such post-production, but I find that the Replay 360 does not have a great text-to-speech option, nor the graphical tools to add the shapes layers, which SL has.
I attach the screenshot.
Thank you very much! 

7 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Irina,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know what you are running into when editing your project.

Hiding items on the timeline would be my recommendation, but the ability to scrub the timeline and have and see a view of what is currently happening at that point is a current feature request.

I'll add this conversation to the report so we can update you here when we have information to share, and I look forward to seeing the community suggestions in the meantime.

I wanted to share some information about how we manage these feature requests as that may be helpful.

Irina Poloubessov

Hey Phil,
Yes I am just adding shapes to the base layer (they are not on separate layers, but they appear as separate "layer" on the timeline: each shape has its own. And though on the timeline I see that shape X appears from say 5s till 7s -- if I put a cursor on 20s I will still see this shape visible on my editing pane. So there is a clutter of all possible shapes I ever used on my editing pane at any time point, and I'd like to see only relevant to that timepoint  :)

Phil Mayor

I think my comment only relates to your second request to see the frame of the video. On the base layer moving the playhead should show the frame of the video as long as it plays on timeline start.

Your first request would be a great new feature and would work like most timelines in other apps

Irina Poloubessov

Ah, thank you, I'll try that! Was too focused on my first pain point :)))

UPD: tried that - somehow nope :(( I move the playhead but the video does not show the relevant frame. I just inserted it as a video, did not mess up with any settings.

UPD2 -- Found a thread -- actually it is not enough to move the playhead, one should use the play button on the timeline!
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/video-preview-issue#reply-488078

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Irina.

I have exciting news to share!
We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 66, we've included important fixes and new features.

One of the features we've included is:

Scrub the timeline to quickly see when timed elements appear and disappear on the stage without previewing the entire slide.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.