In StoryLine 360, how to add a conditional next button only when the layers are visited?

Feb 08, 2021

Dear all,

The main slide has two buttons, each of which shows a different layer. I'd like to add a conditional button on the main slide, which will only appear when the two layers are both visited. Can anyone share how to deal with the variable settings? Thank you!

2 Replies
Test_Luiza Quinto

Hi, Fay!

I have to say that that's a wise approach to make sure that all of the layers on your slides are visited as intended before the audience is able to proceed to the next slide. With regard to a conditional button, while this sounds interesting, it doesn't appear to be available yet based on the existing features of buttons. No worries, we can work around that using triggers and a few variables just like what Walt did.

Before you add layers, it's important to set the state of your conditional button to 'hidden'. Here's how you can do that.

Now, let's lay the groundwork for the variables and triggers.

1. Add two variables using the true/false type - one each for Layer1 and Layer2.
2. Set both variables to false.
3. On layer 1, configure the following trigger settings. This link is a fantastic guide to adding variables.

a. First trigger
Action: Adjust variable
Variable: Set Layer 1 to value True
When: When user clicks
Object: Button 1 (button that navigates back to the main layer)

b. Second trigger
Action: Change state of
Variable: Button 3 (conditional button in the main layer)
When: When user clicks
Object: Button 1 (button that navigates back to the main layer)
Conditions: If Layer2 = value True
and Layer1 = value True

Note that the all of the variables for all of the layers on your main slide should be changed to 'true' in order for the conditional button's state to be converted from 'hidden' to 'normal'.

Feel free to check out this guide about variables an triggers. I've also attached a sample file that I hope will help!