Interactive Video Quiz

Mar 10, 2021

Hello fellow e-learning designers! I need some help with a project.

I was trying to make an interactive video with knowledge checks that used layers to overlay a video when the timeline reaches a certain point and sends the learner back to a previous spot in the timeline (using cues) if the learner gets the question wrong. Since Storyline doesn't let you put knowledge checks in layers, I built custom, ungraded knowledge checks that function the same way. 

For the most part everything works... Except when the learner answers a question incorrectly and gets sent back to an earlier spot in the video the previous knowledge check layer randomly pops up and the learner has to answer it correctly again before the video will proceed. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make it stop doing that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've included an example file below.

4 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Aptive Training,

Thanks for reaching out here! I tested the file and noticed a similar issue where when I selected the Try Again button for Question 2, it took me back to Question 1.

I've started a case on your behalf to have our support engineers look at the file and see what's happening behind the scenes.

Once they're done testing, they'll reach out with next steps!

Aptive Training

Thanks Ren,

I've seen a lot of similar posts where designers run into this issue with layers when scrubbing through the timeline. It seems that anytime you move on the timeline, all the layers triggered by the timeline pop up. This includes triggers that take you back to a specific spot on the timeline. I've created a workaround where I have a separate trigger that closes every other layer right after it moves to that spot on the timeline but that becomes more arduous as you add questions since you need a separate trigger for each layer anytime you have a button that jumps to a specific spot on the timeline.

Aptive Training

I'm also running into a problem with the the timeline starting before the video does. The video takes a few seconds before starting for some reason, but the timeline starts moving without it. A lot of the interactive elements I have added to the video are specifically tied to the timeline. Any idea how to fix that? The video is just an MP4 file.

Ren Gomez

Hi Aptive Training,

Thanks for the follow-up! I see where my teammate, Eric, shed more light on your file and offered a workaround.

Regarding the experience where the video starts before the timeline: Do you see this error appear after publishing your file? I did a quick preview and enabled the seekbar to see if a lag showed up. The video played right when the timeline started.

I'll mention this in your case with Eric to see if he can also test that as well!