Invalid Answer pop Up

Aug 04, 2016

Hi everyone,

I have a a random 'invalid answer' pop that is appearing in a few of my question slides (see attached image) and can't figure out how it is being generated and more importantly how to stop it. 

The question has a 'correct' and 'incorrect' layer.  If you enter the correct answer the correct layer appears however if you put an incorrect answer in the 'invalid answer pop up appears.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Shannon

25 Replies
Emily Ruby

Hi Shannon,

The invalid answer pop up is built into the player. It is designed to show when there is no answer selected. But as Wendy stated, it would be best to look at the file itself to see why this is happening if you are in fact making an incorrect selection.

If you cannot share it here, you can send it through directly to our support staff here.

Thanks!

shannon crouch

Hi Wendy,

Thanks so much for your help. I have compared the 2 slides and can't see what you have changed re the trigger (Sorry probably looked at this so much no I can't see the changes) When I preview the slide you have altered I still generate the same error if the incorrect answer is entered.(see below screen shot.)

Thanks

Shannon 

Wendy Farmer

Hi Shannon

couple of things - trigger order is important

1. We want the change of button states to be listed before the submit interaction so move that down to last

2. For the incorrect state, any of the three can be wrong so instead of AND the condition should be OR

See my example above to check these things

shannon crouch

Hi Wendy,

Of course I had forgotten about the order of triggers. The submit button is now working but now is coming up as incorrect despite the correct answer. The first slide is yours the second mine, the only thing I can see that is different is the value of motor which is now 3 (which is what I want it to be)

Thanks

Shannon

Wendy Farmer

Hi Shannon

you need to be careful which variables you are referencing and make sure you are using those in the triggers. I placed all the variable references on the slide.  When I entered anything into the 3 TE boxes I can see what is being referenced.

Look at the ones with the number 1 next to them.  Now look at your triggers and the variable references.

You are using eye1 but referencing eyes11 in the trigger - same with the other two.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Shannon

that's why I put the variable references onto slide 2 so I could see which variables were being used as I entered numbers into the 3 boxes.  See the ones highlighted below - these are the variables references on slide 2, the non-highlighted one are the variables used on slide 1.

When you enter a number into the first entry box you can see what variable is being used as it displays what you entered.

on slide 1 in the example above that has a video on it these are the variable references 

eyes 11, motor31, verbal21

on slide 2 in the example above that has NO video on it these are the variable references

eyes 1, motor1, verbal1

It might be easier so you know what you're working with to rename them

slide1_eyes, slide1_motor, slide1_verbal

slide2_eyes, slide2_motor, slide2_verbal

That way you can match the trigger to the variables used on that slide.

shannon crouch

Hi Wendy,

I have finally had some time to get back to working on the slides without much luck. I think you are right the pick one slide is easier but for some reason my trigger to change the state of my buttons ends up under slide triggers rather than player triggers like in your example. I am guessing this is why I can't get this slide to work.As soon as I insert a number in any of the numerical entry spots it selects the incorrect button. Any ideas on what I doing wrong?  

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Shannon! I took a peek into your file and found out why your triggers are listed under Slide Triggers rather than Player Triggers. 

You'll want to be sure that your triggers say, 'Change state of Button to Selected when the user clicks the submit button..." That way, the triggers will appear under Player Triggers.

Give it a shot, and let us know if it works for you!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.