Is Articulate 360 compatible with a Mac?

Nov 10, 2016

Is Articulate 360 (specifically Storyline 360) compatible with a Mac? If so, does it have the same functionality as Storyline 2 has on the PC?

50 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Erin!  Thanks for reaching out for the clarification on using Articulate 360 products on a Mac.  This article describes the system requirements for using those apps on a Mac.

I know you're specifically wondering about Storyline 360. It can be installed in Parallels, VMWare and Apple Bootcamp environments.

We will be sure to let everyone know if we have any news on developments, such as native Mac versions, so always keep your ear out! 

Sandy Shailes

Yes - when it goes to mac I will purchase.

I am finding a number of glitches using Replay and SL2 on parallels. 

It is impossible to redock Storyline windows as the handles disappear outside the screen window.  Can not be retrieved.  I can't rememeer where I found a way to redock them, but I could not use Storyline at all while they were there.

The biggest issue is Mac does not have internal speaker recording, so a screencast sound quality is terrible.

I end up creating the course on mac/parrallel, then transfer to old computer just to do the screen recording on replay.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sandy,

To redock the panels there is a button right on the Storyline tab/ribbon across the top, or the individual panels that have been undocked also have a button to redock them. Here is where you can find more information about that functionality:

As for the issues you're having with working on the Mac, our team is happy to work through those with you and offer some additional ideas. Our team of support engineers are available here 24/7. 

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for reaching out. I don't have any information to share about our desktop applications being accessible on a Mac without Parallels, but you can use certain elements of Articulate 360 such as Rise, Review, and Peek natively within a Mac. Here are the system requirements for the entire Articulate 360 suite of tools. 

Alejandro Casas

Hi Ashley,

I'm trapped in the middle of a project and I need to move as fast as I can with my content development process, it's you or Adobe. Quick question, If I purchsase an Articulate License for Windows, do you know If I would be able to transfer it later on to Mac once you guys release the package for this OS? I'm really excited with all the features included on Articulate and I enjoyed the trial version. Thanks!

Soren J Birch

I wouldn't hold my breath Alejandro. Buy it and use it for Windows now. Expect to buy it again for Mac once again if it ever appears, likely with a discount if you have an existing Windows version - but who knows? Or subscribe to Articulate 360 and get it as part of that deal, or cancel if an eventual Mac version would be a separate purchase.

All you will get here are vague answers like "There are no current plans" and other bla bla. Because they cannot and may not tell you until the decision on a Mac version is final by those in charge of the products, and they are ready to release specifics on when and how.

Hi Alejandro,

I don't know the answer to that, especially since there isn't any information about Storyline for Mac, but I'll ping a few members of our Success team to have them reach out to you for any further clarification and to discuss your needs around content development. They're the best people to talk pricing and upgrade costs with!

Soren J Birch

No, VMWare Fusion and Parallels are feature wise rather identical as far as my experience goes. Not entirely. For both versions I think you must choose to run the virtual Windows machine as a full screen virtual system, not the "fusion" mode where Windows-windows and macOS-windows co-exist amicably. Storyline can act up otherwise.

I am back on a full-blown Windows environment again today, and I don't foresee myself switching again. For the hassle it gives me when developing courses, macOS isn't worth it.

Phil Mayor

I use parallels on a 27 inch iMac and 13 inch Macbook Pro, never had any issues, don't need fullscreen, except on the laptop. I have never used a Windows Machine and have probably developed 500-600 courses. Native version would be ideal though as it is the only reason I use windows apart from as a testing environment for IE and Edge.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.