Is storyline useful for 1000+ question quizzes? large quizzes

Nov 03, 2014

I am trying storyline 2 and i built my template.  I want a 1000+ question bank that pulls 100 each attempt.

When I went to import  questions, I had problems with storyline crashing due to memory issues.  When I checked my resources, storyline only used 1.8gb or less than 25% of my ram and less than 20% of my cpu.  I am using a computer I built myself with 8gb ram an i7 cpu, tons of cooling and a 256gb ssd.   I easily video edit and render 10gb files on this pc but storyline crashes due  memory.  I suspect this is because storyline is x86 (32bit) instead of 64bit.

I tried to import and work with 400 at a time, but it still crashed.  I changed the process to high and even tried real time, while all other applications were closed.

Is storyline a good fit for my implementation?  Is there a 64 bit version upcoming? Is there a workaround?

9 Replies
Jim Johnson

I am trying 3 things:

1. The program ntcore to allow 32bit programs to use 4gb ram
  2. Increasing virtual memory paging size to 5120 Paging size
  3. Saving in different folders/locations each time

This is apparently a known issue due to Storyline continuing to be available only as 32bit from what I have researched in the forums.

Jim Johnson

So far on my computer and LMS (Moodle) it seems to be running quite well.  The file right now is roughly 22MB with around 1,000 questions in the bank (Multiple Choice), which doesn't seem too bad at all.  

However, my previous quiz output program was only 2.5mb, so the Storyline file is 8-10x as large, BUT I get access to the advanced interactions of Storyline and more freedom.  Since it seems Storyline has been trying to enhance it's quiz marketshare, I would suggest they implement a way of creating quizzes with the data imported into one slide, instead of having each question with an individual slide.

i.e.:
One master slide for quizzing
Questions held in an XML file
Data called from XML file into Master Quiz/Feedback file 

You'd lose the functionality of creating individual quiz slide interactions/responses, in return for making it more streamlined for large quiz creation (such as 100+ multiple choice quizzes) and would cut down greatly on the size of the file.  I doubt this is high on Articulates priority list, there are likely more features that would impact a larger number of users that they are working on.

In the end, I expect the final filesize to be around 30mb, I have decided to add two versions of quizzes, one with 1,400 questions and one with 600 questions.  A Practice Test and an Expert Test.

Bjarne O
Jim Johnson
One master slide for quizzing
Questions held in an XML file
Data called from XML file into Master Quiz/Feedback file 

Exactly what I have been thinking. Would be extremely useful if storyline was able to include questions at runtime. The quizzing functionality of storyline, is the area I personally wish articulate would nurse and tender even more :)

Consider submitting a feature request.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.