Issue with LMS not saving course progress

Apr 26, 2016

Hi All!

Hoping someone can help.

I have continuous issues with our LMS suite tracking and reporting on completed/incomplete and at times even trying to get it to report.  The LMS suite we use is "SilkRoad Learning" aka Greenlight.

One point is it gets stuck on closing the course for example.  So I've embedded a trigger button to close the course. This worked for a period of time however now I have a course that I uploaded and tested however it is not tracking the "completed/incomplete" status that I want it to when I published it in Articulate.

This means that in Greenlight I can run a report to view who has at least accessed it to complete it (and I can even get dates and timestamps) but states incomplete even thought I've seen on their screen that it is complete.

I've tested it now on ScormCloud but I don't know how to interpret it.  I can see a section where it is saying it hasn't been completed however I have done it.  It currently should be tracking on number of slides completed (38 of 38).

If anyone can shed any light that would be super awesomely fantastic.

4 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Daniel

LMS's are very fickle - if you don't have exactly the right settings and hold you finger to your nose when completing the course most likely it won't mark you complete - lol.  A trick I use when basing it on slides visited I take 1 or 2 off the total and say track on 36 of 38 slides.  Touch wood this has always worked for me. 

You could try adding a Javascript trigger to your Exit/Close button: see this older post

Alternatively you can add a quiz slide and result slide at the end of the course, cover it with your content and use the track using 'result' slide - that may work for you.  The user doesn't have to see it is a quiz slide or a result slide.

Here is an LMS troubleshooting blog that may help you.

Good luck.

Daniel Cibej

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for responding so quickly!  I'll try your suggestion for the next module.

From what I can gather, our LMS may not be compatible with Articulate publishing of a SCORM file to just do "complete/incomplete" based on it's default configuration settings which if we change will screw up other areas of the LMS. 

I've just changed the tracking settings on the Storyline file and re-uploaded it to SCORM Cloud to test - and it's tracking via score now (even though that's not what I wanted!) Oh well...I'll need to keep running tests to get to the bottom of this.

If anyone else has any other suggestions that would be much appreciated!!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Daniel,

I'd also agree with Wendy's suggestion of going a slide or two less than the total you want to track - or similarly if you need to ensure that they see all 38 slides, add some additional blank slides after that one - maybe include a "Thank you, you can now close the course" slide and then track by 38 out of 39 slides. 

Wendy shared the other resources that I would share as well, but if tracking completion based on visiting all the slides in SCORM Cloud is not working for you, that's something we'd be happy to investigate. SCORM Cloud is an industry standard for LMS testing and therefore what we use as a gauge for if something isn't working as expected in Storyline when it doesn't respond at SCORM Cloud. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.