Issue with States and triggers

Nov 29, 2016

All- I have a layer with multiple state changes when users interact with buttons. I also have one callout that is hidden,  and i want it to change to normal once all (4) buttons on the screen are selected. Everything works fine, but the callout does not change to normal, it remains hidden. I know i have done this int he past. Anybody experiencing this problem or is there a bug with Storyline 2? 

6 Replies
Rich Lesser

Ashley,

I originally had it on the visited state and that does not work either. I switched it back and tried again. No luck. It works if i remove the other triggers from the slide, but once i have the buttons with multiple triggers, this trigger will not work.  Attached is the .story file again with the trigger as you suggested. See slide 4.5

Walt Hamilton

Rich,

Attached is your story with new triggers on slide 4.5 that work.

The problem is the  "When state of ... is ... " trigger.

The "When state of ... is ..." trigger is not what it seems. Most of us read it as "When state of ... BECOMES ...", and we really wish it would work that way, but it does not. Because "is" is not an action, it does not represent an event that catches the attention of the trigger listeners. "Becomes" is an action that would catch the attention of trigger listeners.

As it is, it works sometimes, and not others. It is a timing issue. If you are lucky, the right trigger is listening when the right state changes, and your trigger works. More frequently, it doesn't, as your story shows. "When state of ... is ..." works perfectly when used where it belongs, in conditions. The programmers never should have allowed it to show up in the "When" portion of the trigger wizard.

In the attached story, I have created triggers that respond to the actions of clicking on the buttons, if the conditions are met, and it seems to work.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.