Issues masking sensitive data in Storyline 360

Apr 24, 2018

Hi everyone!

I am creating a video using Storyline 360 which contains some sensitive data which needs to be masked. I understand that Storyline doesn't have capability to blur out images, so I have gone with the workaround of pasting boxes over the text that needs to be hidden, and colour matching these boxes as the background changes whilst the screen is rendering.

This works okay in some places but as I'm creating a simulation, as the images move, the number I'm trying to mask is revealed for small periods of time, or the box (not colour matched) is visible over other menus that are being opened during my simulation.  Despite spending several hours trying to adjust the timings of these boxes so this is seamless, I can never seem to get the timing spot on where I need the box to seamlessly appear & disappear without being visible on screen. Furthermore, and very frustrating, the timings of my boxes in the Timeline seem to differ when I later play back the video scene using the Preview. Preview seems somewhat delayed. This is making it impossible to mask the number seamlessly.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can make this work? I don't have access to any video editing software :(

Thank you

4 Replies
Ben McKenna

Hey Renata,

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to achieve exactly - could you provide a screenshot? (Block out the sensitive information if you need to, it's just so we can see your setup)

From what it sounds like, you're trying to obscure text on an image by using boxes, but the boxes aren't correctly matching the animations of the image. Is that correct? If so, you could always place the boxes either within a group with the image (and applying all your animations to the group instead of the image) OR pasting the boxes into the image's normal state (and the boxes will inherit all animation properties of the parent image).

Apologies if I misunderstood your problem, I'd be happy to try and help if you can provide more info though.

Ben McKenna

Ah, I think I see what you mean now.

You said you didn't have video editing software available, but you're using 360? Your 360 subscription should include a program called Replay 360 which should include enough editing capabilities to obscure the sensitive information.

If for whatever reason you can't use Replay 360, you could always try using "Edit Video" within Storyline, click the 'Insert Logo' button and use a blank image to cover up the Created By field. You'd have to split the video up and use a different coloured box and position everytime the field moves, but the timing SHOULD be more accurate.

I'd highly recommend the first option if its a possibility though.

Hope this helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.