Jump to URL/File

Apr 29, 2013

Hello,

I am trying to create my own custom player with drop down menus. One of the menus is supposed to have links to websites located on our intranet page. I setup the triggers with the Jump to URL. I put in the correct url (copied and pasted from the intranet site) and even tested it within the trigger menu. I go to publish my story and when I click the buttons, nothing happens. I have the menu on a separate layer that appears when the user clicks a separate button. I have even tried to use the execute JavaScript, and still the same problem. Nothing happens when the button are clicked. I am also using the per-built button function within Storyline with a button marker on it...

Am I doing something wrong with the trigger?

Andrew

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes, Andrew!

Are you viewing the published course locally, by any chance? If you view published Storyline content on your local hard drive or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your content to fail.

To properly test your published content and share it with others, upload it to the environment for which it was published. Please review the following article for details: 
I hope this helps! Let me know if you still have trouble with the URLs after uploading the course to a server.
Thanks,
Christine
Christine Hendrickson

Andrew,

It's quite possible, if it's working in Tempshare. I've seen a lot of issues with different types of hyperlinks (URLs or file paths) that come up because of local restrictions. So it's definitely a good idea to try and test it somewhere on the web that's "live". 

I took a look at your file - gotta say, love the way you have the menus displaying here. Very creative! Nice job :)

I uploaded the course to Articulate Online for testing (I'll remove the link as soon as we're finished). The links obviously don't display the intranet pages you've inserted, but I am getting new browser windows/attempts to load the pages. 

Take a look:

Upload Test for Andrew

Now, I totally understand that some companies don't want to have content added to their LMS during the testing phase. However, if you're able to, I would definitely suggest testing it there - since that's where you're going to have it in the final phase of your project. If this is absolutely impossible, you can continue using Tempshare, but keep in mind its purpose is only for testing, not for long-term hosting or full features, basically there may be some kinks.

Another alternative is to use Articulate Online for testing. There's a free trial available, as well, so you'll have plenty of time to try it out and see if that works for you. 

I hope this helps :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.