JUST articulate audio not working - but only on a particular laptop

Hello all,

I've got a case where I published an Articulate 3 story containing videos with audio to "CD" and loaded it onto a USB. I tested the content on my own computer, it runs fine and the audio runs fine.

I passed this USB to a second user and while the content runs, the videos move along, the audio does not play. The audio is working on their laptop is working correctly - email notifications, youtube, audio test all chirping away happily.

I don't have details on the make of their laptop or anything like that, but does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? 

 

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

8 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Michelle.  Can you check to see which file they're using to launch the content, whether it's the .exe file or one of the .html files?

To view our CD output, IE 11 must be installed, and they should use the .exe file.  If they're launching from the .html file, they'll choose which browser to use, and it's possible the browser is blocking the audio.

Let me know what you find out!

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for the additional information, Michelle. I think you're right, the launch would be the issue if the correct browser was not installed.

We have seen a couple of sporadic issues with the performance of CD output for Storyline 360 that we're trying to track down, but I've not seen this reported for Storyline 3.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with a support engineer so we can investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Michelle M

Done. I should note as well that the same issue happened for three different .story packages that we tried on her laptop, so it was unlikely to be an ad-hoc, random "publishing" error.

Though in saying that were all variations on the one I am sending you, so if the problem is inherent to that story it will have carried across to all of them.

Please let me know any updates as soon as you have them, :)

Michelle M

Hi all, an update.

The engineer did send me on some detailed steps to try.

I couldn't try all the steps they asked, because the problem was actually occurring on the laptop used by a sub-contractor of ours, who is based off site. I sent them on some of the trouble shooting steps, and they responded saying that they got the module working with audio on one particular laptop in their office.  From their point of view, they just wanted it to work, so as soon as it did they didn't want to spend any more time trouble-shooting. A shame! I'd always much rather understood the proper root cause.

Safe to say there must have been something about the settings on their laptops, but I wasn't able to get them to dig deep enough to figure out the exact root cause.

 

Thanks all for help as always,

Michelle