Latest Articulate 360 update - now published courses are nearly 2X as big

Jul 13, 2017

Just updated with the latest update and my courses now have extra folders - mobile and html5. I'm publishing for both offline CD-ROM delivery and our LCMS. Both settings now create these extra folders.

Is there a new trick to specifying what you want for publishing options?

I can see why the LCMS settings might generate a mobile and HTML5 version of the course.... Not sure why the CD-ROM version wouldn't have an option to turn those versions off...?

10 Replies
Jenny Matteson

Except before the update, when I published the same course with the same settings (to CD-ROM), it didn't have those extra folders, and it was half as big. All I did was fix some typos and change out a photo. And then I updated Articulate 360, and republished. And no, the photo was not 250MB... ;)

The New HTML5 folder is what doubled the size. It's full of .js files that probably include copies of all my added videos, because the file sizes approximately line up.

This course is very large, and includes about 30 videos, so the old size was 270MB+ Now with this new publishing feature, it's 526MB! The new Mobile folder is only 57MB.

My problem is I can't find a setting to make it publish like it did last week, without the extra HTML5 folder that was never there before. I'm sure it's not a surprise that I'm on a deadline and do not have time to try publishing it 10 different ways to test them all. The mobile folder is critical because for whatever reason it contains all the graphics and navigation elements for the course.

Jenny Matteson

Thanks Ashley, that is helpful to know. However if it's publishing HTML5 instead of Flash, why is the size doubled? I get that it will be bigger....

And I'm having trouble QAing the course because IE runs out of memory halfway through reviewing the published course. It takes 2 to 3 seconds to load each page when you click any button, including Next, regardless of what is on that page.

This MUST work with IE because it's the corporate standard that I have to work with. I can test with Chrome and Firefox, but all of my audience will have IE 9 , 10, or 11 as their default browser. I'm using IE 11 in Windows 10.

Jenny Matteson

Thanks Phil. Knowing that it's HTML5 only, I expect a performance hit too. However, this behavior goes beyond our usability threshold.

Unfortunately, if it takes 2 to 3 seconds to load every page from my harddrive, then when it's in the LCMS it's going to take about 4-10 seconds to load every page from the server, and people will call the helpdesk for that. Also, they won't perceive the browser running out of memory and crashing as "working".

Our users are fairly technically savvy, and most of them will understand the difference between Flash and HTML5. However now having a 2 hour course take 3 hours because they have to keep restarting the browser is not going to go over well. Both our offline and online audiences will call this behavior "broken."

My big question for Ashley and anyone else out there is if what I am describing is the new expected behavior, or are there any settings we can possibly work with to get these two courses launched this week without having to retrain 2,000+ people on how to use our eLearning courses?

Jenny Matteson

One more note on this- many of our people will be going through two courses at once. One of them we published in February and it will run fast without crashing. Then there will be this one, which is slow and crashes. When they see these two courses together, running from the same environment on the same platform, they will be assured it's the new course that's broken, and not tolerate the "try other browsers." etc. routine.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jenny, 

Is it just the CD published output that is giving you trouble, or the LMS published versions too? There isn't a way to remove the CD option publishing to HTML5 vs. Flash.

For supported browsers in HTML5 and Storyline 360, you'll want to use:  Internet Explorer 10 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version). 

For Flash, they could use: Internet Explorer 8 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version). 

I'd like to have my team take a look at the difference in your published outputs pre the update and now with the HTML5 publish for CD. Can you share the files with our team here? 

Jenny Matteson

I 'm doing the LMS test now. One of my colleagues is NOT seeing this issue, so I've sent the file to him. It could be the settings he's using- once we know what the difference is between mine and his, I'll post that here so others can check it out. if there's something with the file or my computer I'll pursue tech support. Thanks!!!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.