Launching storyline 360 courses from websites

Feb 25, 2021

There are a couple of issues I need some guidance on:

1.  I have published my storyline 360 courses as HTML5 on a website with the facility to launch the course in a different page.  However, when the user clicks to the page on the website the course launches automatically.  So, if there is more than one course on that web page.  All the courses launch in separate windows.  Ideally, the user would be able to simply click on the launch course button and open the new window manually. Is there some way of stopping this automatic launch?

2. Many of my users live in resource poor regions. So being able to use the course material offline is a great asset.  However, if I publish the course material for use on the Articulate App 2 things happen.  1.  If the user has an Android or IOS device, they cannot launch the course material until they have downloaded the app (the app is not available in all countries) and 2. when the app is available and the course material open, the user experience of the app is a lot less intuitive than the storyline 360 material.  There are no navigation buttons within the app (except to the library), and it is therefore difficult to close it once the material has been accessed.

It may be that I have somehow created these issues by not publishing the course materials in the correct way, so if anyone can give me some guidance on how to solve these issues, I would be very grateful.

3 Replies
Russell Engoran

I don't use the app, so I can't speak to your second question.

Here are my thoughts on the first question: Without seeing your page, It sounds like you may have published your course using the Web option. And that you set the player custom settings to Launch in a new window, yes?

If that is the case, the launcher page that gets generated has two methods of triggering a launch added by default. One is set to launch when the page loads. The other is set to launch when you click the button. 

The onLoad code looks like this: <body onload="setTimeout('LaunchContent()', 100);">

Change it to this to remove the auto launch: <body>

This removes the auto launch feature. Hopefully I have read your issue correctly. Apologies if not.

Also, if you have multiple course buttons on the same page, you will need to distinguish which button launches which course.