layers

Feb 26, 2014

My concern is layers: I feel like I don't fully grasp their value.  What can/should I be using them to do???? Are they only used to allow interactivity?  If my little project doesn't use interactive elements, can I still use them?

Please take the time to tell me what you're doing with them to enhance your project.  I have watched the tutorial on them, but ...

3 Replies
Simon Perkins

Layers are great for adding "stuff" to a slide that you want to show on certain conditions, e.g when learner clicks an object/button, when a variable ascertains a particular value, or when something else happens.  This doesn't mean you HAVE to use them.  Neither does it mean your base layer needs to be simple and you have to incorporate all kinds of fancy layer effects on top.

They're also powerful because they encourage you to visualise what you want to see happen on the slide, and then look at how they can be utilised (along with states, variables etc) to create intuitive and dynamic (even intelligent) interactions.

Have a play.  Visualise something.  Create some layers.  Set some triggers to launch them.  Get messy.  Have fun.

Unfortunately I can't upload a sample right now.  Perhaps someone else can - or at least elaborate on them better than I have.

Simon Perkins

No, they don't need to be used purely for interactivity.  You might want to arrange things on your slide using layers (without the learner doing anything).  Or you might want to display certain things (using layers) based on the learner's decisions in previous slides - this could be done according to the value of certain variables (which were triggered by the learner's earlier decisions).  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.