Letters 't' and 'f' going missing in Storyline 360 for small population of users?

Jan 27, 2017

I am getting some really odd feedback for one of our Storyline 360 courses (published for HTML5 with Flash backup). Has anyone encountered this / knows what is going on? Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate the issue. Here are some of the comments the course is getting:

• "Why are all the t's and f's missing?"
  • "Most all T's and F's are missing"
  • When opened in Explorer there were missing letter so it was very hard to read.
  • "Some of the slides had letters missing"
  • "All the missing letters were very odd. Was there a point?"
  • "The content was difficult to read mostly because of there were letters missing throughout the slides. It seemed mainly all the "t's" and "f's"
  • Why are all the t's and f's missing? That was very strange and might be very hard for people with visual difficulties.
  • several letters were missing difficult to read.
352 Replies
Niklas Lovefall

About enable downloading fonts:

That is not a solution that works overall. I had a couple of customers using the “wrong” version of IE and had this enabled and still it didn’t work for them. 

The only fix that worked for me is to change font to a bullet proof IE font. 

As long as Microsoft provides a disastrous web browser, I believe our discussions need to be around what fonts work in IE. I don’t blame Articulate for this and I don’t expect you to find a solution that works for hundreds of versions and subversions of IE. 

Have Articulate tried to discuss this with Microsoft? 

John Everden

I really believe this could easily be rectified by Articulate by providing
an advanced export option allowing specific browser versions to be served
the flash version (all of internet explorer specifically) and all other
browsers html5. This would be very easy to do as I can attest to this as we
have already did it internally. Internally we have did this with our own
lms player but we custom developed the player. If this was an export option
it seems like it would be an easy middle ground for articulate to meet
without too much effort and at least provide a work around. The bad news is
flash wont be around for too much longer but neither will internet explorer
(at least in any large margin).

Cheryl Powers
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Marco and Cheryl. We've updated our system requirements to include allowing web font downloads in your browsers to ensure the right font shows in your output. More about those settings is found here.

Cheryl, can you let me know if you are following the practices in that article and still seeing these issues? We're happy to work with you further on this!

Alex Nevels

Chiming back in -- we've had to abandon Storyline 360 for Captivate because of this issue. I haven't had any issues with fonts being displayed properly since we've begun developing in it.

We've used Storyline for 5 years, and I have to agree with the comments above -- putting the onus on the learner to 'fix their browser' is poor UX -- and it's not acceptable to our clients who no longer allow us to develop in it.

For course developers targeting global corporations with thousands of users, enabling font download in their settings simply isn't an option. Developing in simply Arial isn't either -- even it goes missing. No other web authoring tool to my knowledge is experiencing a similar issue.

This should be at the top of bug fix list.

Cheryl Powers

this has been occurring for over a year and yes I read the practices article and no reconfiguring the LMS isn't an option because the LMS servers are configured by SAP for the entire coke system.  We do not have policies preventing users from downloading fonts set.  their internet settings are allowed, however, the problem still exists.  I have to do a lot of extra work to replace fonts in every course to a standard font and this is not desirable either.

Martin Iwinski

Totally agree with everyone here. For our company, this just started happening in the last couple of months. We've been using Storyline since it came out and this is the first time these types of font issues are happening. It's a totally unacceptable issue and our IT department is also confused by it.

Our IE is set to download fonts and yet this issue persists. A user dealt with IT and I was made aware that initially, their eLearning was missing the T's and F's. Once the IT guy restarted their PC and tried again, the T's and F's were appearing in the same module. This is such an inconsistent issue and I think it's definitely some major bug with Storyline.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks, Gerry. I don't think so as that beta feature wasn't released after an overwhelming amount of feedback that it wasn't performing as folks needed. We have started requiring the font downloads option enabled as a result. There are a few lingering cases (such as Martin's) where it sounds like something else is occurring under the hood and it's best to diagnose those one-on-one with our Support Team

Dena Fife

This is still an issue for several of the courses I am creating for a client. It pilot testing, it typically is only 1-3 people experiencing the missing letters, but it’s enough that our client is not at all happy. We have 13 more courses to develop and they have asked that if it doesn’t get resolved they would like to consider a different tool to create the courses. As old as this issue is and as much as a license is for Storyline for this to be a continuing issue, is very frustrating and disappointing  to say the least. 

Gerry Wasiluk

Thanks, Ashley! :)

Because we can use the betas for production, I released a few courses to clients with that feature turned on. I then saw of many the issues that folks have attached screenprints of here.  For the learners that had issues, it happened to folks with IE11 and Windows 7 as their OS--not every one with IE11 and Win7 had the issue--only a few.  It was weird.

Alex Nevels

For our team, and for our clients, it's less about whether or not a fix is achieved by enabling font downloads -- it's that the solution suggested isn't a feasible one to implement. Asking an organization with over 1000 franchises to have their learners adjust a setting in IE (or worse, not use IE), simply doesn't work. 

To the client, it doesn't make sense to put that responsibility on their learners. They are paying us to design a solution for their learners, not for their learners to be part of the solution. Imagine a web design company telling it's client's their visitors should only use Chrome, or enable a certain setting. 

I think this is a much bigger issue than Articulate is evaluating it to be -- especially for those working with larger or global organizations. For us, the impact has been a switch to Captivate and a substantial change to work processes. It's a big deal.

Martin Iwinski

I also agree with Alex. All of our users (thousands) have the same locked computer and IE11 settings, yet this issue sporadically comes up for some of them. How is that happening? It was never doing this until recently for our organization. Like I mentioned before, some of the users simply restart their PCs and that clears up the issue. How are we supposed to troubleshoot for such a random issue?

Will Findlay

I should report (as the person who posted this originally) that we saw these font issues for a while in our organization, but then they stopped happening as mysteriously as they started. Unfortunately, I don't know what changed in our IT environment that fixed the issue. I'm wondering if it is still something permission-related though. Maybe even though IE's setting is supposed to allow font downloads, there is something else blocking them such as web filtering or other firewall tools.

Electronic mail from Children's Mercy Kansas City. This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately forward the message to the Children's Mercy Information Security Officer via return electronic mail at informationsecurityofficer @cmh.edu and expunge this communication without making any copies. Thank you for your cooperation.

Cheryl Powers

yes we've already identified that the company is allowing font downloads, but configuration on the lms server needs to be done by SAP, who manages all instances of LMS servers for the entire coca cola bottling system, including mine.  I do not have direct access and put in a ticket request a year ago.  

Helen Gilbert

Hiya, 

We're experiencing a similar issue, only in IE. We use the open sans (built in font), I'd say we've been experiencing this issue since the beginning of the year. Were unable to recreate the issues and it's sporadic? 

As much as i tell people to use Chrome to complete the modules, it falls on deaf ears as our company default is IE.

Any help would be great.

Thanks 

Helen 

Brandon Harper

Helen - As you can see, this has been going on for a long time now. Everyone is having to find some pretty creative ways to work around this issue.

I am in a similar situation where our users default to Internet Explorer. 

My solution to this has been to add a page at the beginning of each course where the learner has to click a button to say they are in Chrome. If they select that they are NOT in Chrome, a layer pops on the same slide to tell them to close the browser and reopen in Chrome. There is no way for them to continue forward unless they select that they are in the Chrome browser.