LMS API Error for content published with Storyline

We recently purchased Storyline, but previously used Articulate Presenter to publish all our eLearning. However, when using the exact same settings as we've used in Presenter, we get an error for SLL created courses.

The Error:

An error has occured: Error 0 unable to aquire LMS API, content may not play properly and results may not be recorded. Please contact technical support. Press 'OK' to view debug information to send to technical support.

We use SCORM 2004 2nd Edition, and point directly to the index_lms.html file. However, when we change it to point at story.html we can see all the content (the error doesn't come up) but tracking doesn't work.

I don't have a very strong understanding of LMS, and mostly focus on creating the courses. Can anyone help me understand what might be going wrong?

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi eLearning!

First, please make sure to package your published content properly for your LMS. Here's how to publish a Storyline project for LMS distributionIf you're still experiencing issues with LMS content, please take a look at the following article, which outlines common issues pertaining to viewing and tracking content in an LMS


If the problem still occurs, you may want to consider opening a support case with your LMS. 

Thanks!

Christine

eLearning Web Development

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the reply. I've already looked at both of those articles. My LMS requires that a launch file is identified and I have pointed it at index_lms.html.

The reason I'm wondering about why it doesn't work, is I publish content exactly the same way with presenter and have never had this problem. Is there something different about the way Storyline and Presenter publish to LMS?

Christine Hendrickson

Hi eLearning,

The index_lms.html file should call the story.html file. Since the story.html file is working for you, but not tracking, it may not be pointing to the other html file properly. If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a closer look at what's going on. Please submit a support case with us and include your .story file in the case. Also, if you submit a case, please share the case number with me. I'll be able to follow the progress of the case and update this thread.

Thanks again!

Have a great day,

Christine

Zehra Akyol

eLearning HelpDesk said:

Hi Christine,

The issue has been resolved. We needed to add some code to template files in order for them to work properly in our system. Everything is working smoothly now! Thanks for the help!



Would you mind sharing the code with me, I have the same issue with one course.

Thanks,

eLearning Web Development

Hi Zehra,

For our system we needed to assign a document domain (document.domain ="" using javascript in the header because the way our LMS is set up. It needed to be put in the header of a bunch of the Storyline\Content files and Storyline\Content\lms files in the Articulate (Storyline) Program Files.