LMS Completion Issue

Jun 12, 2020

Hello!

I'm relatively new to Articulate software and I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me.

I have built a course using Storyline 360 which has a Quiz to assess understanding of a subject. It requires an 80% pass mark. I need the course to register either a Pass or Fail within the LMS and regardless of the result I want the course to be marked as complete.

I have exported it as a SCORM and all seems well if a user passes the course.  My LMS recognises the signals for both completion and passing. However, if a learner fails the quiz, the LMS recognises the failure, but does not mark it as complete.

I have ran it on SCORM Cloud and I'm seeing the same issue, on failing, the course is not marked as complete. I have spent far too many hours searching these forums and testing different reporting options, but cannot seem to get it to work. 

Could someone please advise if they've seen similar issues before and how they may have resolved it. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 Replies
Sam Hill

Hi Anthony, what version of SCORM are you running? If SCORM 1.2 completed/passed/failed should all be recognised as an absolute result by the LMS. If SCORM 2004 you can have completion and success. Success being passed/failed and completion being incomplete/complete.

What are you seeing on SCORM Cloud that doesn't feel right to you?

Anthony Malvern

Hi Sam,

I'm running SCORM 1.2. 

When I run the package on the SCORM Cloud I get following information:

If the learner passes:
Completion Status: Complete
Success Status: Pass

If the learner fails:
Completion Status: Incomplete
Success Status: Failed

Even if the learner fails, I want the completion status to be 'complete'. That way our LMS will flag the failure and we can follow it up. At the moment we don't get that luxury.

Thanks in advance.

Sam Hill

Hi Anthony, if using SCORM 1.2, you can't track a Completion Status and Success Status. These are SCORM 2004 only. Your LMS must be inferring that a failed status is Incomplete. It might be worth checking with the LMS admin to see if it is possible to configure the course to be marked as Complete on either a Failed/Passed status, and you might also want to make sure that your course does not evaluate as "Failed" based on a mastery score before the quiz is completed too. If this is occurring, it could mean you will have to remove the mastery_score from the imsmanifest.xml file.

Sorry, probably overloading with info there, but a few things to consider, but your LMS admin should hopefully be able to help you out.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.