LMS reporting "undefined" or blanks for some questions

Hello!

We have created a math assessment for our LMS (Desire2Learn), and upon testing it in on the site I can see that the reporting is getting some strange results. For some of the multiple choice questions, it is coming back as "undefined" in both (and sometimes just one) of the correct response and learner response fields. Also, there are issues with the the fill-in-the-blank questions, with some being blank for both correct and learner response, and some having just a learner response (blank for correct). I've included a screen shot of the report. As far as I can tell, all of the questions are following the same format for how they've been created and set to report. I'm not sure why some questions are reporting fine, while others are having these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wanda

84 Replies
Debra Bumgarner

As an update to anyone that may be following this post, the one thing that we have figured out for my particular case is that the LMS will record "undefined" when using answer choices that start with a dollar sign or other special characters. The suggested work around is to place a text box overlay including the special character answer choice over the auto-generated answers that do not have the special character included. This could only be done if you were not randomizing answer choices on these questions (unless there is a clever way to use triggers for this that I am not thinking of.)

We still do not know why tests with answer choices that do not contain any special characters are causing this issue with the LMS progress details, but I am still looking into it and will provide any feedback that I can to help others that may run into this same issue in the future. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Alex Lor

Hi guys,
Not sure if people are still having these issues, I managed to resolve it on my end. Thought the tests and results might help someone out even though it's not Storyline 1.
I'm running Storyline 2 (update 7) and adding the SCORM to Moodle version 2.6.


Backstory, I had three multiple choice questions in my file. The first question worked but the other two were showing the "undefined" value in the LMS. The only difference were extra characters and symbols in the "undefined" values. I made a test copy of the file, ran a few tests by removing certain characters/symbols and as it turns out, the quotation marks were the culprit.


I slowly added other characters back in (?, ..., $) and they worked no problems as well. It doesn't look like student responses are affected by symbols. Math questions might be more complicated than what I had to deal with, but I would try dialling back the answers to plain text and see if it is still giving the "undefined value".


Some wild guesses about why this might occur:
- LMS doesn't recognise certain characters/symbols when results get passed through
- I may have copied and pasted some hidden formatting from the original Word doc to Storyline.


I've attached a pdf with some before/after shots. Hope this helps
Cheers

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Zach,

If there aren't any special symbols in your output, perhaps you're running into a different issue. We'd want to begin by looking at having you test the output in another LMS such as SCORM Cloud as it's an industry standard for LMS testing and this article will walk you through some testing steps.  If the behavior persists there, we'll want to take a look at it, and you can share your .story file here with us. If it works normally there, you'll want to reach out to your LMS team about what could be happening on their end with the reporting of data. 

Mike Walls

It's disappointing that this is still an issue 2 years later. I would like to add to this discussion:

An answer/option that begins with these characters will be sent to the LMS as "undefined" in SCORM 1.2 and "null" in SCORM2004:

  • A space ( )
  • A double-quotation mark (")
  • A question mark (?)
  • A hyphen (-)
  • A dollar sign ($)
  • A percentage sign (%)
  • A hashtag/pound sign (#)

I can confirm that this is indeed a Storyline 2 issue, as a test project with identical questions/answers built with Captivate does not report "Undefined" in our LMS or SCORM Cloud. Captivate properly converts these special characters to the underscore (_) character:

Captivate

cmi.interactions.4.student_response = _A_Choice_A_with__Quotation_Marks_

Storyline 2

cmi.interactions.4.student_response = undefined

 

Hoping Articulate finally gets around to fixing this bug, however in the mean-time hopefully  this info helps somebody work-around the bug.

 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for adding your voice here. It’s definitely helpful to understand how many folks are experiencing this bug and how often they encounter it, and that info helps us prioritize our development resources.

I’m really sorry that I can’t make a firm commitment to resolve this problem, but I know this is one that affects quite a few of our customers, so I'm going to advocate for it in our next meeting with the Quality Assurance team. You're in the right place, and we’ll share as much as we can, as soon as we can!

Emma Herbert

This thread was so useful!! I had a number of questions reporting as 'undefined' to our Moodle LMS. I had put in spaces to create a larger gap between the radio buttons and the answer text, but since removing these and using the indent in the paragraph options instead all the responses are reporting as they should. Happy Monday!