Locking previous and next buttons - 508 compliance

Hi,

I'm working on my first 508 compliant course and I have a question - Does locking the Previous and Next buttons per slide until all interactions are done considered not 508 compliant?

I initially made them free so the users can skip anytime, also added a keyboard shortcut to let them advance (left and right arrow keys). Our previous courses are always locked so in this case, there's a chance that the client will request to lock the navigation as well. 

Thanks!

1 Reply
Nancy Hemenway

I would think that would be alright as long as there is some direction that lets learners know they cannot go on until all interactions on the slide are complete and as long as all those interactions are 508 compliant. In web development use of ARIA tags within html5 - that is Accessible Rich Internet Applications  These are sets of attributes that define ways to make web content and web applications (especially those developed with JavaScript) more accessible to people with disabilities. 

Most of my experience is with Web design accessibility and HTML. This is a very helpful site that anyone who is developing for 508 compliance should probably frequent: https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/  

The action you are talking about could certainly work for accessible access - but how to do it within Storyline might be a little different. I would also test your course with a screenreader. Those with low vision using a screen reader should be able to tab through the slide and then go back to execute the interactions before moving on. One thing to try and to access your course with a blindfold. Nancy