Lost .story file

Oct 13, 2016

Hello community!

Has anyone been able to solve the mystery of deleted .story files and recovery? I have been reading many older threads about not being able to recover the .story from your zip file as it doesn't package together...has there been any advancements on this front? If not, are there any plans from Articulate to resolve this as I can see, I am not the only one to have lost that file! :(

Thanks! 

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Julie,

If you didn't save the .story file it's not included in the published output as you have noticed, and it's something that I've heard folks discuss as a need/feature they'd like to see but we don't have a public product road map in regards to that. You're welcome to share your thoughts on this as well in the form of a feature request here. 

I have heard of users finding a copy of it in the temp folders, more often for an issue of corruption vs. a file not being saved, but it's worth a try. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.
Julie McGoldrick

Thanks Ashley! I had been able to recover an older version that way but I'm still not able to find the version I wanted which was my published one. I do think that there should be a way to save the story file with every publish and safe guard it within the zip or other package. It would help with versioning. I will be sure to request that feature.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.