Mac users

Jun 29, 2017

Hi,

At my previous employment I used Storyline 2 on a PC. My new employer is Mac based. I am wondering how other Mac users like working in Storyline through a VM.

I really don't want to work with Adobe Captivate, but I'm nervous about working in a non-native software.

Thanks for any feedback!

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Amanda, 

I know there are lots of Mac users here in the E-Learning Heroes community - and I'm one of them. 😀

We have a lot of great documentation on how to get yourself set up and running in a virtual environment.

If you're using Parallels Desktop, see these video tutorials and best practices.

If you're using VMware Fusion, see these best practices.

Action Pact

Thanks!

So far I'm using Boot Camp and successfully installed Windows 10. I was able to create a course in Storyline 360 and Rise for a proof of concept.

I just have to figure out how to use Windows on the Mac. I wasn't able to access a USB storage device on it yet. And my bluetooth mouse acts weird.

If we go with Storyline, I will probably recommend getting Parallels so that I don't have to reboot each time I switch between the OSs.

Do you know if Articulate plans to make a Mac native app?

Thanks for your help!

Brett Rockwood

Amanda, I use a Mac with Parallels and it works just fine, and my Mac is getting pretty old so I'm sure newer ones are even better. If you're a regular Mac user you'll likely appreciate being able to run Storyline in Parallels along with all of your other standard Mac applications. Parallels also makes accessories like wireless mouse a little simpler, IMHO.

Using Rise should be no problem natively on a Mac; you shouldn't need Parallels or Boot Camp to do that. Hopefully one day Articulate will have a native Mac version of SL. Then I'd drop Windows altogether.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

I use VMWare and haven't run into any challenges with my bluetooth mouse or keyboard with Storyline or Studio. I do have to remind myself to switch my copy/paste keyboard shortcuts though! 

As for Rise - you can author in the Mac side - I mostly use Chrome. Here's some more FAQs on working with Rise.  

No official plans yet for a native Mac version of Storyline - but we'll keep you posted if that changes! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.