Motion Paths

Apr 06, 2016

Hi,

I have included a picture to help explain this.

I want to have the box move from one stage to another stopping at each stage then I want to have that same box go all the way back to the beginning and then the end again.

I have watched tutorials on motion paths but cant get this motion path to work.

Could someone please help me with this?  

8 Replies
Michael Hinze

See attached a (rough) example. The shape is moved down with one motion path that is triggered repeatedly (the trick is to the path option Relative Start Position) when a cue point is reached. Then, a second motion path is used to return the shape to its original position. Hope that makes sense. 

Walt Hamilton

The principle that works best here is to set each path to have a relative start point, which means that motion path 2 starts moving from wherever the shape is when it is invoked, which is usually the end of motion path 1.

Since your boxes are spaced equally, you ONLY NEED ONE PATH, one that moves the box down one block, and has a relative starting point. Each time you click it, it moves down the wieth of another block.

Warning: you do need to be able to keep track of where it is, or use a different trigger to move it back up.

Check out the attached sample, which is similar to Michael's, which he posted while I was  working on mine.

Mark Shepherd

Hi Ellana:

My first thought would be to make a note of the precise time points you wish to move the animation at, and start by adding cue points to those locations on the timeline of your slide containing your Points Diagram Graphic that you indicated in your original post.

I have enclosed a sample Storyline project that has the beginnings of this idea. 

You could use Relative Motion Paths, like with Michael's or Walt's ideas, but I like the ability to have a different take on this kind of fluid Motion Path Switching.

Note that you will have to switch between Normal and Hidden states for multiple copies of this box in order for it to work, and get the position points tweaked for better accuracy - my starter model is not 100% overlay-accurate, but hopefully this will give you enough of an Essential Idea to get started with.

-Mark

Walt Hamilton

You would need to use variables to keep track of where it is, and not let the user click the top button unless it is at the bottom,

or

if you are programming the moves (for example, moving it by cue points), not move it to the top unless it is at the bottom.

Alternatively, create 5 paths up, and keep track of where it is with a variable. Use a condition on the trigger to choose the up path depending on where it is (what the value of the variable is).

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.