Mouse Cursor

Oct 31, 2012

How do I make a mouse cursor disappear during a slide?

At the beginning of the slide, I want to show the cursor hover over a button, make the one click sound, then disappear so the user can use their mouse pointer and not see two.  How do I make the mouse cursor disappear?

16 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hey Christopher!

When a slide contains a mouse cursor object, the mouse stays on screen for the duration of your slide. You can, however, use Storyline's timeline to change when the mouse motion starts and ends. (Unlike other objects, for mouse cursors, you use the timeline to control the beginning and end of the cursor's motion - not the appearance and disappearance of the cursor itself.) Saying that, you may be able to end the cursor's movement at a certain time, and then place a shape the same color as your background over the cursor to hide it. Think that might work for you? 

lucy harris

Hi!

I'm creating a video to train people on dental software. However once I clicked on something in the program, Articulate stopped recording the movements of my mouse. For the first two seconds it shows my mouse movements just fine, but once I click to change the page, the mouse movements disappear. I need the mouse movements to show during the entire video, how do I fix it?

Peter Anderson

Hi Lucy, welcome to Heroes!

If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Please submit a case, including your .story file, using this link so our support team can assist you further. And if you're able to capture the issue with a screencast (which you can do on the second page of that link), that would be a huge help as well. 

Thanks!  

Sunny Carter

Replying to Lucy Harris' post - I experienced this same problem and have tracked down what it is.  On Windows (Vista and above), if the application you are recording is "Running as administrator" and Storyline is not, then the cursor freezes after the first click when recording the screen.  This makes inserting as step-by-step slides fail. The solution is to run Storyline with administrator privileges (Right-click on the icon and choose 'Run as administrator') and then record the screen.

Maryjo Mace Woodburn

Peter Anderson said:

Hey Christopher!

When a slide contains a mouse cursor object, the mouse stays on screen for the duration of your slide. You can, however, use Storyline's timeline to change when the mouse motion starts and ends. (Unlike other objects, for mouse cursors, you use the timeline to control the beginning and end of the cursor's motion - not the appearance and disappearance of the cursor itself.) Saying that, you may be able to end the cursor's movement at a certain time, and then place a shape the same color as your background over the cursor to hide it. Think that might work for you? 

I've been trying a couple of different things to make this cursor disappear and none seem to be working for me. 

1. I adjusted the timing of the cursor and made sure "always show" and "show until end" were un-checked

2. I tried inserting a small rectangle to cover the cursor that appears after the cursor movement, but the rectangle stays underneath the cursor.

Any other ideas? I am using it on the 5 tab interaction slide template I downloaded. 

Harshad Joglekar

Hi Team Articulate

When we insert a cursor, it sets a fixed start point and end point. Is there any way I can adjust the motion path? Right now I can move only the entire cursor path. I want to keep one end constant and adjust only the other. I know we have the 'Enter From' option, but that just changes the starting point.

Thanks

Harshad.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.