Multiple Caption Languages in Storyline 360

Sep 29, 2017

Hi folks,

Happy Friday!

I'm doing some translation work at the moment and was wondering if anyone has experience of creating a course where the learner can select which caption language they would like to display?

I've previously experimented with layers for this, and had a concept up and running. I'll explain how I got this working:

Take One:

I have a video on the base layer with no captions associated.

I also have 3 layers for the captions - English, French and German. On each layer I have a piece of perfectly blank, small-file-sized audio, timed exactly to the video. Each of these pieces of audio has a caption file attached for the appropriate language.

Short story is that it works perfectly using variables triggered off an initial language select - until a user pauses the timeline, which is a functional requirement. As the timelines are independent, the video pauses and the caption continues. Not ideal. No amount of trickery gets this working.

Take Two:

I killed the layers and moved the 3 blank audio tracks onto the base timeline. Using the selection variables, the audio tracks start with the video for the chosen language. It also pauses properly in the timeline.

It works beautifully in all browsers. Except Firefox. Which is a requirement. If a learner decides that they want to watch the video for a second time, the video freezes and the captions continue.

If anyone has any ideas they'd be much appreciated - thanks!

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Aidan!

Thanks for your question, and I'm excited to see the ideas the community will share with you!

I did want to address the problem you're having with the video freezing in Firefox. This is a bug we've reported to our team, and I'll be sure to tag this thread to be updated once a fix is released. As a workaround, I've seen other folks create a video loop trigger like Tsvety recommends in this thread. 

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Aidan, 

Great news! 

We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here

The item you'll be interested in is:

Fixed: Videos wouldn't replay when revisiting a slide in HTML5 output in Firefox.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Also, be sure to check out Arlyn's video and visit our What’s New page!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.