NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Conditional Seekbar

Nov 01, 2018

We’re super excited to share the latest- highly requested!- new feature in Storyline 360: the conditional seekbar. Now you can prevent learners from skipping ahead until they've completed content. After that, they have the option to drag the seekbar back and forth.

The conditional seekbar in the modern player makes it easy to ensure that learners view all your content. Take a look at this video to learn more:

Enjoy!

75 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sanju, 

The conditional seekbar isn't a feature in Storyline 3. 

Articulate 360 is a subscription-based product, and that allows us to roll out updates, new features and fixes on a more regular basis than our perpetual products.  I'm sorry it's confusing or off-putting. 

There are many other features in Articulate 360 and specifically Storyline that may be worth the upgrade to you, so if you'd like to discuss that further our team is always happy to talk through options. You can reach out directly here. 

If we do add this feature to Storyline 3, we'll let folks know here! 

Carmín Disbrow

I seem to be having trouble with this setting. Attached is my .story file, if anyone can give it a look and let me know where the hiccup is? 

Modern Player defaults / Controls: seekbar, allow drag after completion, play/pause are all checked.

Video options: I set video controls to none, thinking that maybe that was conflicting with the seekbar settings.

I also double checked that I have all the updates on my 360 dashboard.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carmin! Thanks for sharing your file! I noticed that the TOC layer opens as soon as the video completes. This means that the seekbar could be reflecting the timeline of the slide layer, not the base layer. 

It sounds like you may want to press the rewind button in the player and have the video start over, is that right? If so, you'll need to adjust your settings a bit. 

• Base Layer Properties:
  • Slide Layer Properties:

Give those settings a try, and let me know if you see an improvement!

Ric Gauci

Thanks Wendy

I worked that after i posted hence i deleted the post, however i am using the conditional seekbar but it’s not working on the layers when i review the individual layer.  My slide has custom back button which take the user back to the previous layer - eventually returning the base layer.  The seekbar cannot be dragged when re-visiting each layer or the base layer in this instance.  Only when I revisit the entire slide are the seekbars on each layer ‘draggable’ .  

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ric,

It sounds similar to an issue that Update 21 of Storyline 360 fixed, where the conditional seekbar was only draggable on a revisit to the slide (if you'd also enabled restricted navigation). So first, I'd want to know if you're using restricted navigation in your course and, what update of Storyline 360 you're using? You can check by going to the "Help" Tab -> "About Articulate Storyline".

If you're on the latest update, Storyline 360, build 3.23.17480.0, and/or you don't have restricted navigation included we'll want to find out a bit more about your setup. 

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to our team privately by uploading it here.

We'll delete it when done troubleshooting. 

Katie Riggio

Hi, folks!

Some of you reported an issue where the next button would be disabled when revisiting slides that advanced automatically in a course with restricted navigation. That button is now enabled in this scenario in update 24 for Storyline 360; check out all the new bug fixes and features here!

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to see everything this release has to offer. Let us know what you think!

Erik Abasciano

Katie, 

That update for the next button issue is something I have been waiting for since we started using Storyline. Tested it out and worked as promised. That fix in combo with the conditional seekbar and the newer modern player, awesome job to everyone there. 

I was always confused why it worked in Presenter but not Storyline but I am very happy it was addressed. We create very linear style modules for the most part (long explanation on why we do) and the workarounds I was using to add a unique trigger to each slide make the next button work was very time consuming. 

Thank you again and keep up the great work!

Erik

David Parillo

Hi All at Storyline, 

This is great, but I'm unclear of how the conditional seekbar "prevents learners from skipping ahead" if they can still simply click the 'next' button to advance to the next slide, regardless of where the seekbar is in terms of progress. Am I missing something? I understand you can use triggers and conditions to temporarily disable the next button- but if we're trying to prevent learners from clicking through content, wouldn't it make more sense to add functionality to the conditional seekbar that disables (or even better, hides) the next button as well? Thanks for any clarification.