NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Conditional Seekbar

Nov 01, 2018

We’re super excited to share the latest- highly requested!- new feature in Storyline 360: the conditional seekbar. Now you can prevent learners from skipping ahead until they've completed content. After that, they have the option to drag the seekbar back and forth.

The conditional seekbar in the modern player makes it easy to ensure that learners view all your content. Take a look at this video to learn more:

Enjoy!

75 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, David! Great questions to help clarify. The conditional seekbar is helpful when you want learners to watch the slide's timeline in its entirety the first time it is visited. After they've viewed the slide, they can scrub through the timeline for reviewing more quickly.

Be sure to check out the option to restrict navigation, as well. When you use restricted or locked navigation, the Next button is disabled until the slide's timeline is finished. Since the seekbar controls the slide's timeline, these two features pair well together!

Let me know if that helps!

Alec Vincent Villamarin

Love this conversation. I just had a discussion about this with a client and this resolves our concern.

The Modern player is lovely, honestly, but not all users understand non-traditional Previous-Next buttons, so seeing the spelled-out is helpful for those who can't take a hint. :-p

Arend Raifsnider

Hi Alyssa. I'm trying to use the conditional seekbar to prevent seeking until the user has watched the entire timeline, but I want to allow them to seek the next time they come back. So far all I see is that they can use the seekbar when the slide is complete, but if they come back it resets this. Am I missing a step to make this work, or is this the expected functionality?

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Arend,

Thanks for contacting us and sharing what you are experiencing with your project file.

The way that you would like it to work is the expected behavior:

• Allow drag after completion: This locks the seekbar the first time learners view a slide. After that, they can drag the seekbar back and forth. We call this the conditional seekbar. Learn more.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Erik Abasciano

Hello, 

Just to save you some time there is another forum addressing this known issue: 

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/allow-drag-after-completion-feature-not-working-after-software-update#reply-661861

Currently the only workaround that I found was to go back to version 3.35.21017.0

All other version after that, it hasn't working. If you check the other forum there is suppose to be a fix applied at some point. 

I hope this helps. 

Erik

Arend Raifsnider

Hi Leslie. I can't share my real course but here's a test version I just did, uploaded to scormcloud. What actually seems to happen is that I can go back and scrub the timeline but only after viewing the entire course. 

I see Erik's reply about reverting to a previous version, so I'll try that.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Ani!

The replay icon depends on what your Slide Properties are set to. Let me show you a quick tutorial.

In this tutorial, you'll see that I need to change the When Revisiting to either Automatically Decide or Reset to Initial State in order for the replay button to work.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

We just released a new update for Storyline 360!

I'm happy to announce that included in the Update 38 (Build 3.38.21779.0) is a fix for a recent bug where toggling the Play/Pause button and scrubbing the seekbar wasn't working in Internet Explorer if your previous slide does have seekbar disabled.

To stay up to date with recent bug fixes and new features, we recommend updating the Articulate 360 Desktop app.

Head over here to see the other bug fixes and features included in this update.

Grace CE Lai

Hi, we've tried this and used it as a Storyline block in Rise. We've set it to restrict navigation until the learner finishes watching the video. It works fine on desktop but on mobile, the seekbar is not restricted even though the learner is viewing the video for the first time. Is there a solution for this? 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Grace!

Sorry you've hit this snag! Our team has confirmed this is a bug in Rise 360 with videos on Storyline 360 blocks. The seekbar is not restricted on mobile devices but it works as expected on a desktop or laptop. 

I've added your comments to the active bug report, so you'll be notified when we release a fix! Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Nadejda Terzi

Hi, I need some advice.

I just discovered that while the conditional seekbar (specifically with the option: "Allow drag after completion") works as expected on all devices, it doesn't work in Portrait mode on a mobile phone. The seekbar is "draggable" if it's in portrait mode (but not landscape). Is this a bug or is there something that can be done to avoid this? 

Thanks!

Nadia

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Nadia,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your conditional seekbar when viewing your course in portrait mode.

I have one additional question:

• Are you using the Modern Player for this course as well?

We have an open issue specific to Modern Player courses not respecting the  Conditional Seekbar settings on mobile phones in portrait mode.

I've added this conversation to the report so that we can share any updates with you here.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Nadejda,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included a few important fixes you'll see in the release notes.

The item you'll be interested in is:

Fixed: When the seekbar was set to allow dragging only after completion, learners could drag the seekbar before completion on smartphones in portrait orientation.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.